Cranford St Andrew
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CRANFORD ST. ANDREW (and Cranford St. John) parishes in the hundred of Huxloe, in the county of Northampton. 3½ miles S.E. of Kettering station on the Midland railway, and 70 from London. The village is small, and entirely agricultural. The two parishes are united for ecclesiastical purposes. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Peterborough, value £150, held together with the rectory* of St. John, value £198, in the patronage of Sir G. Robinson, Bart. The churches are small, and one of them contains a fine stained-glass window. The tithes of St. Andrew were commuted in 1775, and of St. John in 1805. The charities amount to £6 per annum. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor. Cranford Hall, the seat of the Robinsons, is a modern mansion, surrounded by a spacious lawn and pleasure-grounds. The founder of this family, Alderman Sir John Robinson, was Lord Mayor of London in 1660, and was created a baronet by Charles II. for his efforts in promoting the Restoration.