The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"GREAT DODDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Hamfordshoe, in the county of Northampton, 8 miles E. of Northampton, and 22 S.W. of Wellingborough, its post town. It is pleasantly situated near the river Nen, and the Peterborough branch of the London and North-Western railway passes through it. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, and in the manufacture of boots and shoes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough, value £165, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Luke, is a commodious stone structure, with an ancient Gothic belfry, doorway, and square tower with five bells. The charities are worth £5 per annum. There, is a chapel for Independents, and a large building used as a Sunday school. The Marquis of Northampton is lord of the manor.