1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"GREAT OXENDON, a parish in the hundred of Rothwell, county Northampton, 14 miles N.W. of Northampton, its post town, and 2½ S.E. of Market Harborough. There is a joint station for Clipstone and Oxendon on the Stamford and Blisworth branch of the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated on the main road from London to Manchester. It consists almost wholly of good grazing land. The soil is clayey. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1767. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Peterborough, value £410. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice, with a tower. The living was once held by Morton, the author of the "Natural History of Northamptonshire." The interior of the church contains effigies of Lady Gorges. There is a Sunday-school, also a place of worship for the Independents.