Hinton In The Hedges
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HINTON-IN-THE-HEDGES, a parish in the hundred of King's Sutton, county Northampton, 2 miles W. of Brackley. The surface, which is undulating, is well wooded, chiefly with oak and beech. The land is divided between arable, pasture, and meadow. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act obtained in 1766. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Peterborough, value, with Stean annexed, £343. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient structure, containing a monument, with the recumbent effigies of a knight and his lady. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum, chiefly the endowment of Lord Crewe's almshouses. Near the village are the remains of the family mansion of the Lovells."