Newborough And Borough Fen
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"NEWBOROUGH AND BOROUGH FEN, a parish of the liberty of Peterborough, county Northampton, 5 miles from Market-Deeping, its post town, and the same distance N.E. of Peterborough. This place, formerly a tract called Borough Fen Common, was about the commencement of the present century elevated into a parish. It is bounded on the S. and S.W. by the Carr Dyke. The parish is very extensive, and the chief part of the land improved by drainage, A great portion of it is used in grazing cattle. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. In the neighbourhood is an interesting structure called the Decoy Farm, belonging to the Williams family, so named from the former occupant's success in the capture of wild fowl. The village, which is small, lies midway between Peterborough and Crowland. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Peterborough, value £250, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a white brick structure, with a small square tower containing two bells. The church was erected in 1830, upon the creation of the parish. There are a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school. The Earl Fitzwilliam and the Marquis of Exeter are lords of the manor."