The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NEWTON-WOOD, a parish in the hundred of Willybrook, county Northampton, 4 miles N. of Oundle, and 5 S.W. of Wansford, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Nen, and on the road from King's Cleft to Oundle. The houses are in general built of stone, which gives the place a substantial appearance. The soil is rich and fertile, on a substratum of oolite rock, which is quarried for building purposes. Part of the land is in market gardens, for the supply of the Leicester markets with vegetables. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Peterborough, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."