1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"PISFORD, (or Pitsford), a parish in the hundred of Spelhoe, county Northampton, 5 miles N. of Northampton, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the brow of a hill, near Pisford Bridge. The surface is gently undulating, and the soil a strong red mould. A peculiar kind of white sand and limestone abounds. The parish is watered by numerous springs, and includes the hamlet of Moulton Grange. The road from Northampton to Harborough intersects the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for 200 acres of glebe, valued at £300 per annum. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough, value £379. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a rich Norman doorway. It contains a font of great antiquity. The living was formerly held by the father of Bishop Skinner, who was born here. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a tumulus near the London road, called Longman's or Lyman's Hill; also a small ancient encampment, called Borough Dykes. Captain Richard Howard Vyse is lord of the manor.