1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"STEAN, (or Stene), a parish in the hundred of King's-Sutton, county Northampton, 2½ miles N.W. of Brackley, its post town. The village is situated near the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. The road from Brackley to Banbury passes through the parish. The living is a rectory annexed to the vicarage of Hinton-in-the-Hedges, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains effigies, &c., of the Crewe family from 1619. The church was erected by T. Crewe, Esq., in 1620. Divine service commences on the first Sunday in April, and is performed but six times during the year. Earl Spencer is lord of the manor.