1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"THURNING, a parish partly in the hundred of Polebrook, county Northampton, and partly in Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 5 miles S.E. of Oundle, its post town, and 13 N.W. of Huntingdon. The village is situated on a branch of the river Ouse. The land is partly in common, interspersed with wood. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £181, in the patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. James. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Earl of Sandwich is lord of the manor."