1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"UPTON, a parish in the hundred of Nobottle-Grove, county Northampton, 2 miles W. of Northampton, its post town, and 10 from Daventry. The village is near the North-Western railway and the river Nene. There are some traces of a castle built by Simon de St. Liz. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of St. Peter, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Upton Hall, the seat of the Tramwells since the reign of Henry VII., contains a hall painted by Artan, and several eminent portraits. Captain L. S. Vernon is lord of the manor."