The Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry was raised in the summer of 1794 as the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Cavalry, by Thomas WHITE of Wallingwells, who financed and housed the regiment at his own cost.
The other local "territorial" military unit was the Sherwood Foresters. The regiment was formed on 1 July 1881 as part of the Childers Reforms. The 45th (Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot (raised in 1741) and the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment of Foot (raised in 1823) were redesignated as the 1st and 2nd battalions of the Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment). The Derbyshire and Royal Sherwood Foresters (Militia regiments became the 3rd (Reserve) and 4th (Extra Reserve) battalions respectively. These were joined by the 1st and 2nd (Derbyshire) and the 3rd (Robin Hood) and 4th (Nottinghamshire) Volunteer battalions.
The Sherwood Foresters saw action in Egypt during the Anglo-Egyptian War and in South Africa during the Second Boer War. In 1902, the name changing to the Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). The Sherwood Foresters were early participants in World War One. Units of the Foresters were also part of the Gallipoli Campaign.
According to the Newark Great War Bulletin for 14 September 1914, fear of invasion gripped the country.
At the beginning of World War One, the Royal Engineers picked a number of large towns and cities to be Engineering Training Centres (or ETCs). One of these was Newark-on-Trent, selected because it had a number of roads, railways and river connections. They set up their local headquarters at Coddington Hall and began collecting units to train and outfit for service in various responsibilities to support the army. At Newark, pontoon bridge building was an early task, made more serious after eight men were killed in a training accident in early 1915.
And the need for more men never ceased. Newark asked its young men to enlist, as shown in this Newark Great War Bulletin for March 8th 1915.
And the Newark Great War Bulletin for 22 November 1915, notes that the Sherwood Foresters have been asked to add a "third line" to the 8th Battalion.
The "tank" was developed in nearby Lincolnshire. The Ministry of Defense in WWI was looking for a way to pass over trenches and piles of brush, so Lincolnshire engineers took a farm tractor, added armoured plates, and called it a "tank" to keep the design a military secret (but the name stuck).
The "Brodie Tin Hat" was a steel helmet designed by US Engineer John Leopold Brodie and patented in London in 1915. The French had been equipping their troops with steel firemen's hats. Both the US and UK adopted versions of Brodie's design, but these did not get issued to the troops in large numbers until November, 1915.