"Annesley parish contains the two townships of Annesley and Felley, comprising 239 inhabitants and 3360 acres of land, and forming a romantic and richly wooded district. The trustees of the late John Musters Esq. are the principal owners and lords of the manor, but the Duke of Portland has an estate here of 289 acres. Annesley is a small picturesque village, six and a half miles S.S.W. of Mansfield. At the conquest it was of the fee of Ralph Fitz-Hubert, and afterwards was possessed by the Annesleys for many generations, when their heiress carried it in marriage to the Chaworths of Wiverton, with whose late heiress it passed to the late John Musters Esq." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]


Archives & Libraries

The Annesley Woodhouse Community Partnership Library is located in the Acacia Centre, Acacia Avenue (Off Forest Road). At last check, they were only open two halfdays per week.



  • The Annesley Cemetery, one acre set aside in 1872, is on Annesley Cutting near the church. It had one mortuary chapel.
  • The cemetery was under the administration of the Burial Board of the Parish Council.
  • Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of the mortuary building at Annesley Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2010.
  • There is an Annesley Woodhouse Cemetery on Skegby Road, which opened in 1911.
  • The Ashfield District Council has an online index to burials. Select "Burials" for a search argument.
  • The Cemetery is administered by the Ashfield District Council.


  • The parish was in the Greasly sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 855
1861 R.G. 9 / 2431
1891 R.G. 12 / 2658 & 2661

Church History

  • The old Anglican parish church was dedicated to All Saints, reputedly founded around 1170, and was built on a hill.
  • This church was enlarged in the 14th century.
  • In 1912, the church is reported as "not now used."
  • The new Anglican parish church was built in 1874 on a lofty hill.
  • Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of the new All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2010.
  • The interior of the new church was destroyed by a fire in January, 1907, but the church re-opened in 1909.
  • The church is a grade II listed building by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Church Records

  • The church was in the rural deanery of Bullwell.
Church/Denomination/Founded Register Start
All Saints (Anglican) Baptisms
Wesleyan Methodist (1815) Baptisms 1890
  • In 1912, the parish had chapels for Wesleyan Methodists, Baptists and United Methodists.
  • Phil EVANS has a photograph of the current Wesleyan Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2008.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Greasly sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This village and parish lie 134 miles north of London, about 11 miles north-west of Nottingham and about 4 miles south by west of Mansfield. The parish covers about 2,770 acres and includes the hamlets of Wandesley and Annesley Woodhouse. Felley used to be a chapelry in this parish but is now its own Civil Parish and reported under that name.

If you are planning a visit to the village:

  • The village is on the A611 south out of Mansfield, not far from the #27 roundabout on the M1 motorway.
  • Rail service to the village ceased in 1953.
  • Stop by the Village Hall on Byron Road and check for current activities.
You can see pictures of Annesley which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Annesley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • A colliery opened here in 1867 giving employment to nearly 1,000 people.


  • Annesley Hall was originally built in the 13th century, but substantially enlarged in the 17th century. It was remodeled in 1938. It stood neglected and unoccupied in 2003.
  • Annesley Hall is a grade 2 listed building, once owned by the powerful CHAWORTH-MUSTERS family, and near the earthwork remains of Annesley Castle.
  • Lord Byron bid "adieu" to Mary CHAWORTH at Annesley Hall. He later revealed that his life would have been very different had he married her.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK508541 (Lat/Lon: 53.081714, -1.243074), Annesley which are provided by:


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and it became a modern Civil parish when those were established.
  • This parish was in northern division of the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake.
  • The parish was in northern division of the county.
  • You may contact the Parish Council about local politics, but they are NOT staffed to answer family history questions.
  • District governance is provided by the Ashfield District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.


Year 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901
Annesley 359 341 326 335 274 239 288 1,201 1,445 1,374 1,271
Felley 33 60 71 67 41 44 33 42 31 44 41


  • The village primary school is on Forest Road in Annesley Woodhouse.