"Arnold Parish extends from three to nearly six miles north of Nottingham, contains 4,704 inhabitants, and 4,670 acres of land, including 2,280 acres of Sherwood Forest. It was enclosed in 1789, when 700 acres were allotted to the impropriator, which was then sold to Thomas Holdsworth Esq., who is subject to the reparation of the church; and 23a 3r 37p were allotted to the Crown.
Arnold is a large and populous village, half a mile east of Mansfield Road, and four miles north of Nottingham. It is pleasantly seated upon a sand rock, and has several neat mansions. The inhabitants are principally employed in framework knitting. Arnold Grove is a beautiful residence, occupied by William Williams Esq., solicitor."
The church dedicated to St. Mary, is a large ancient fabric, with a tower and four bells. A new vestry was added in 1838. The vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £7. 17s. 8d., now at £310,, is in the patronage of thc Duke of Devonshire. The Rev. George Francis Holcombe is the incumbent, and the Rev. George Atkinson curate, who resides at the vicarage, a commodious mansion, near the church.
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
The local Library is in Arnold Town Centre on Front Street and has a Local History section. Parking is available at the Arnold Leisure Centre. The Library is open six days per week and is a branch of the Nottingham County Council Library System:
- Arnold Library
- Front Street
- Arnold, Notts, NG5 7EE
- Tele: 0115 920 2247
This was once known as the Carnegie Library when built in Nottingham Road in 1906. The Library was refurbished in 2015.
- The Arnold Cemetery, set aside in 1877, covers 4 acres and had two mortuary chapels when formed. The cemetery is at Redhill, on the Nottingham-Mansfield road.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the two mortuary chapels at Arnold Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
- The first burial here appears to be in July, 1879.
- The Arnold Cemetery is administered by the Burial Board of the Urban District Council.
- The churchyard burial ground contains headstones from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Many have been moved to the sidewalls of the burial ground and some of the older ones are inside the church itself. Burials ceased here in 1879 when the public cemetery at Redhill opened.
- The parish was in the Arnold sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 855 1851 H.O. 107 / 2128 1861 R.G. 9 / 2443 1871 R.G. 10 / 3492 thru 3494 1891 R.G. 12 / 2676 & 2677
- A church is believed to have been built here in 1176.
- The present church chancel and nave were added on to the 1176 structure on Church Lane in 1320 with a tower added in 1450.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary.
- The church nave was restored in 1868 and the chancel in 1877.
- A Bosworth turret clock with three dials was installed on the tower in 1868.
- The church has its own website with several pages of information.
- St Katherine’s Chapel in the church was refurbished shortly after World War One and rededicated to the memory of the 252 men of Arnold who had lost their lives in the Great War.
- Richard VINCE has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
- Tom COURTNEY also has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2004.
- Daybrook was established as a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1896, the year its church was erected.
- The church at Daybrook is dedicated to Saint Paul.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Paul's Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008.
Church/Denomination/Founded Register Start St Mary's (Anglican) Baptisms
St. Paul's (Anglican) 1890 Baptisms
Church Street (General Baptist) 1822 (rebuilt in 1909) Membership 1890 Primitive Methodist 1829 - 1829 Meeting House (General Baptist) 1848 - 1848 Weekly Communion (Baptist) 1825 - 1825 Wesleyan Methodist pre-1800 - - Mormon 1849 1849
- The Anglican parish church was in the rural deanery of Nottingham.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the United Reformed Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2010. This church replaced the original Congregational Chapel of 1871.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the former Wesleyan Reform Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2018. This church has been sold and is scheduled to be demolished.
- Barbara Kilby CROFT provides this Ebenezer Chapel Marriage list for those interested.
- Richard VINCE has a photograph of the King's Centre Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014. The church opened in 2002.
- The parish was in the Arnold sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
Nottinghamshire Police have been headquartered in Arnold since 1979. Mick GARRATT has a photograph of the Oxclose Lane Police Station on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2006
This village and parish lie about 4 miles north of Nottingham and about 10 miles south-east of Mansfield. The parish covers 4,670 acres and includes the hamlets of Daybrook and Red Hill. Felley used to be a chapelry in this parish but became its own Civil Parish and is reported under that name.
The village of Arnold has become part of the conurbation of Nottingham city and sits as a suburb on that city's northeast side. Red Hill is a village just northwest of Arnold that is considered part of Arnold. If you are planning a visit to the village:
- Take the A60 trunk road north out of Nottingham. Arnold will be on your right side (east) as you head north.
- There is frequent bus service into the village from Nottingham.
- Rail service to the village ceased in April, 1960.
- Sherwood Forest starts just to the north of Arnold. In 1775, Sherwood Forest surrounded the village.
- We have an extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
John Marius WILSON's 1872 "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales" describes this place as:
ARNOLD, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Basford, Notts. The village stands near Sherwood forest, 2½ miles ENE of Bulwell r. station, and 5½ N by E of Nottingham. It has a post office‡ under Nottingham. Its inhabitants are employed chiefly in lace and stocking making. The parish includes also part of Daybrook hamlet and the seats of Arnold Grove and Sherwood Lodge. Acres, 4,570. Real property, £12,059. Pop., 4,642. Houses, 971. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £310. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is later English, and has a tower. There are chapels for Sc. Presbyterians, Baptists, Wesleyans and P. Methodists. A school has £23 from endowment, and other charities £10. R. Bonington the painter, born in 1801, was a native.-The subdistrict comprises six parishes and an extra-parochial liberty. Acres, 18,540. Pop., 8,378. Houses, 1,779.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Arnold to another place.
Richard Parkes BONINGTON was born in Arnold on 25 October 1802. BONINGTON learned watercolour painting from his father Richard and exhibited paintings at the Liverpool Academy at the age of eleven. In 1817, BONINGTON's family moved to Calais, France, where his father had set up a lace factory. In 1818, the BONINGTON family moved to Paris to open a lace shop. In 1824, he won a gold medal at the Paris Salon. In late 1828 his tuberculosis worsened and his parents sent him back to London for treatment. BONINGTON died of tuberculosis on 23 September 1828, just a few weeks shy of his 16th birthday.
A statue of Richard P. BONINGTON was erected outside the Nottingham School of Art by Watson FOTHERGILL. A primary school in town is named for him. The house in which he was born (79 High Street, Arnold) is now named ‘Bonington House’ and is Grade II listed.
You can see the administrative areas in which Arnold has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- In the 1800s many of the inhabitants were frame-work knitters (often abbreviated FWK in many records).
- Arnold was one of the first sites of the Luddite uprising in 1811, when 63 frames were smashed.
- The village feast was held on the first Sunday after the 19th of September.
- The Home Ales Brewery was founded here in 1875 in Daybrook.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of The Robin Hood (and) Little John pub. on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2016.
- David LALLY has a photograph of the former Lord Nelson pub. in Front Street on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2016.
- Thomas COURTNEY has a photograph of the Travellers Rest Inn on the B684 northeast of Arnold on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2004.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK586454 (Lat/Lon: 53.002721, -1.128222), Arnold which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- There are photographs and a description of the War Memorial plaques inside St. Katherine's Chapel on the Southwell Church History Project site. One of them is the Allen SOLLY plaque listed in the next section.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of a World War II Pillbox near Arnold on the Geo-graph site, taken in August, 2011.
- You can try to find a copy of the "Arnold & Daybrook War Memorial," by Anthony BALL & Cliff HOUSLEY, publ. by Millquest Publications, Long Eaton, Notts, ISBN: 0 9529648 7 2.
- Peter BARR has a photograph of the Former Drill Hall on Arnold Road, built around 1913 for the 8th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters, on the Geo-graph site, taken in August, 2014.
There are 81 Commonwealth War Graves in Arnold Cemetery.
There is a Roll of Honour plaque in St. Mary's Church. To see the names listed on it, go to the Nottinghamshire Gov. site.
There is a War Memorial plaque from the Allen SOLLY Company in St. Mary's Church. To see the names listed on it, go to the Nottinghamshire Gov. site.
There is a War Memorial plinth in Arnot Hill Park. To see the names engraved on it, go to the Nottinghamshire Gov. site.
There is a War Memorial plaque in the Beacon Baptist Church. To see the names listed on it, go to the Nottinghamshire Gov. site.
And the Methodists have a War Memorial plaque in their church. To see the names listed on it, go to the Nottinghamshire Gov. site.
- This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the northern division of the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake in the northern division of the county.
- In April, 1933, the parish gave up 107 acres to enlarge Nottingham Civil Parish.
- The parish became part of the Gedling Borough Council whose headquarters are located in the Civic Centre at Arnot Hill Park.
- The parish is considered a suburb of Nottingham City, although it is not within its urban boundaries.
- The parish is currently in the government district of Gedling.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1789.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
- Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Sir John ROBINSON's Almshouses on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2015.
Year Inhabitants 1801 2,768 1811 3,042 1821 3,572 1831 4,054 1841 4,509 1851 4,704 1861 4,642 1871 4,634 1881 5,745 1891 7,769 1901 8,757
- A Free School was established by Daniel CHADWICK on High Street some time before 1869.
- A National School on Church Street was built in 1860.
- The High Street Infants' School was built in 1895 to hold 480 students. Average attendance in 1912 was 379.
- A British School for 150 boys was opened in February, 1868 and later enlarged.
- Daybrook had a mixed school erected in 1878 and enlarged in 1889 to hold 463 students.
Contact the Local History Society for additional source material.