White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Askham and Rockley
Askham Parish, in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, is a neat village, on a pleasant declivity, three miles north of Tuxford. It extends westward to the Idle, includes the hamlet of Rockley, and contains 398 inhabitants and 1,440 acres of good clay land, upwards of 20 acres of which are in hop yards. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor, which is partly copyhold and partly leasehold for the term of three lives. The Archbishop holds a court once a year.
The church is a small gothic edifice, with a tower and three bells, and was re-pewed in 1849. The living, a perpetual curacy, is a member of the vicarage of East Drayton, being in the patronage and enjoyment of the incumbent of East Drayton. The great tithes are in the appropriation of the Dean and Chapter of York, and were commuted in 1844 for the sum of £200, and the vicarial for £70 5s 0d.
A large number of ancient coins were found when making the railway cutting in a field, occupied by Mr George Gascoyne. The hospital in the village was founded about 1658, and is the asylum of six poor widows, who each receive an allowance of coals and 10s yearly, out of an annual rent charge of £21, from lands at South Wheatley. The surplus of this charity is carried to the overseer's accounts. The poor parishioners also have 10s yearly, out of a meadow in Brantwood, left by Elizabeth Dickenson.
Rockley is a small hamlet, 1½ miles west of Askham. Near it is Jackett Mill, and the farms of Brotherwoods and Gamestowood, all within the parish. A small Wesleyan chapel was built in 1826.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]