White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Attenborough, Chilwell and Toton
Attenborough Parish consists of the two manors and townships of Chilwell and Toton, which contain 1,036 inhabitants and 1,930 acres of land, at the south-western corner of the Broxtow Hundred, where the Erewash divides it from Derbyshire, and falls into the Trent, which forms its southern boundary. Thomas Charlton Esq. is principal owner, and lord of the manor of Chilwell, and Hon. William Vernon (a minor), second son of Lord Vernon, owns most of the land, and is lord of the manor of Toton. But the rectorial tithes of the parish belong to the Chesterfield Free School, being granted to that institution by the Foljambe family, who obtains the impropriation and advowson from Edward VI, after the dissolution of Felley Priory, to which they had previously belonged.
Attenborough is a very small village, standing in the two townships of Chilwell and Toton, on the north side of the Trent, five miles south west by west of Nottingham. The church is a neat fabric, dedicated to St Mary. It has a nave, chancel, side aisles, and a tower with five bells, surmounted by a handsome spire. The vicarage has the church of Bramcote annexed to it, and is valued in the King's books at £4 15s, now £250. George Saville Foljambe Esq., of Osberton, is the patron, and the Rev. Joseph Shooter the incumbent, for who the Rev. James Haylock B.A. officiates. A Sunday School was established in 1838, to which about 120 children attend. Edward Day, the parish clerk, is the fifth generation of that family, who have held the same office for upwards of 200 years. The village is remarkable as being the birth place of Henry Ireton, the regicide, and son-in-law of Cromwell who, after being very active both in the army and councils of the commonwealth, died at Limerick in 1650, when a pension of £2,000 per annum was settled upon his widow and children. The Nottingham and Derby Railway passes through the village.
Chilwell is a considerable village on the high road to Ashby-de-la-Zouche, five miles west south west of Nottingham. Its township comprises 1,449 acres, and 772 inhabitants, many of whom are employed as framework knitters and lace makers. Thomas B. Charlton Esq. is the principal owner and lord of the manor, but Mr John Clarke and Mr John Pearson have also estates here. The Hall is a handsome, modern mansion, occupied by its owner, T. B. Charlton Esq. Here is a National School. The Kilhamite Methodists have a chapel in the village. The feast is on the first Sunday in October.
Toton is a pleasant village of scattered houses on the east bank of the Erewash, nearly six miles west south west of Nottingham. It contains 133 inhabitants, and 1,262 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Hon. William Vernon (a minor), second son of Lord Vernon, who is also lord of the manor. The late Lady Caroline Warren endowed a free school for the benefit of the poor children in the surrounding villages.
Charities. In consideration of several benefactions, left by the Charlton family to the poor of Attenborough parish, a rent charge of £5 16s 6d is paid out of Ashfield Close on St Thomas' Day; out of this the vicar has £1 for preaching a sermon on the fifth of November. In 1697, Wm. Drury gave two almshouses in Chilwell, and endowed them with 16s yearly for two poor inmates, out of the Town End Close. Henry Handley, of Nottingham, left £2, and Mr Jefferies 12s 6d per annum, to the poor of the parish. In 1716, Thomas Newton left to the poor of Chilwell, Hogate Close and two cottages, and directed the rents, now £2 5s, to be distributed on Plough Monday. In 1747, Samuel Garton left to the same poor the Hall Croft at Beeston. Several other small legacies swell the yearly amount of the Chilwell benefactions to about £5 10s, exclusive of the two cottages occupied by paupers, and 18s 6d belonging to the poor of Toton.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]