White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Averham and Staythorpe
Averham is a small rural village and parish, near the Trent, 3 miles west by north of Newark. Its parish includes the township of Staythorpe, which together contain 267 inhabitants and 2,643 acres of land. The large island formed by the two branches of the Trent navigation, opposite to Newark, is in the manor of Averham, or Aram, which has long been possessed by the Suttons of Kelham, who formerly had a park and seat here. John Henry Manners Sutton Esq. M.P. is lord of the manor, sole owner of Averham, and patron of the church, dedicated to St Michael, a rectory with Kelham annexed. The living, valued in the King's books at £20, now £1,435, is in the incumbency of the Rev. William Manners Sutton M.A. The church is a neat structure, with a tower and six bells. The rectory is a large, handsome mansion, which was rebuilt in 1839. The tithe was commuted in 1838 for £1,274, including Kelham. A new school was erected by J.H.M. Sutton Esq. in 1850 at a cost of £300, for the use of the parish. It is a neat brick building. Averham Park contains two farms, 2 miles north of the village.
Staythorpe, 1 mile west of Averham, is a hamlet and township, with 68 inhabitants and 632 acres of land, which belongs to Trinity College, Cambridge, to which it was granted after the dissolution of Newstead Abbey, except 54 acres, which belongs to J.H.M. Sutton Esq. The Rev. Francis Barlow is lessee under the College. The Lincoln and Nottingham Railway passes through the place.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]