"Beeston, four miles west south west of Nottingham, is a populous village and parish, upon the road to Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and near the Trent Canal, having the Nottingham and Derby railway crossing the parish, and a station. It comprises 3,016 inhabitants, and 1,440 acres of land, of the rateable value of £4,570 5s. P.S. Broughton Esq., Tunstall Hall, is lord of the manor and impropriator, but Lord Middleton, Rev. John Wolley, T. Fellows Esq., and others, have also estates here. An extensive silk mill has been erected on the site of the old one burnt down in the Reform Riots of 1831, which employs 250 workmen. There are also in the village many stocking frames and lace machines. A village library was established in 1837 by shares and contributions of fourpence per month, and it now contains 800 volumes, and is conducted by a committee of 12 gentlemen. The feast is on the Sunday before St Peter, or on that day if it falls on a Sunday.
The ancient church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, and appropriated to Lenton Priory, was taken down in 1842, and a handsome structure, dedicated to St Peter, was erected on its site in 1844 at a cost of upwards of £3,500. It is in the early English style, with a beautiful tower 74 feet high, which is to contain six bells,and was consecrated on Thursday, September 5th 1844, by the Bishop of Lincoln. The interior is neatly fitted up with open seats, and will accommodate about 800 people. The Duke of Devonshire is the patron, and the Rev. John Wolley M.A. is the incumbent. The vicarage has 32a 3r 23p os ancient glebe, besides an allotment of 75 a 2r 23p apportioned to it at the enclosure in 1809. The Wesleyans, Kilhamites, Primitive Methodists and Baptists have each a chapel in the village."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- Tony BURTON tells us: "There was a graveyard around Beeston Parish Church which we used to walk through on our way to school - and also a Cemetery on the north side of Beeston off Wollaton Road."
- John MELLORS advises: "By an order in council dated 1888 all burials in Beeston Parish Church churchyard except in such wholly walled graves now existing in the said churchyard every coffin buried therein must be separately enclosed by stonework or brickwork properly cemented. The entries following unless otherwise specified all relate to burials in the consecrated portion of Beeston Parish Cemetery conducted by the parochial clergy. A portion of the cemetery was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Southwell on 20 Mar 1888."
- The parish was in the Beeston sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 856 1851 H.O. 107 / 2127 1861 R.G. 9 / 2440 1871 R.G. 10 / 3488 1891 R.G. 12 / 2670
- The original church here was built in the 11th century.
- The old Anglican parish church of Saint John the Baptist was partially pulled down in 1842 and rebuilt. The new church was consecrated on 5 Sept. 1844.
- The church has its own Beeston Church website with an excellent interior photograph.
- The churchyard was closed to new burial plots in 1888.
- The church seats 700.
- Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of the parish church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a different perspective of St. John the Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2013.
- Anglican parish registers exist from 1553.
- Check out David Hallam's Beeston Village website for his files on family history and church records. To contact him vie e-mail, send your e-mail to David Hallam.
- A Methodist church was built here in 1902.
- Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of the Methodist church in Stilwell Road on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2013.
- Andrew ABBOTT has a photograph of the Catholic Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2008. This Catholic chapel is dedicated to Saint Peter.
- The parish was in the Beeston sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
The town lies 123 miles north of London and 4 miles west-south-west of Nottingham. The River Trent runs through the parish, just south of the town. The parish covers about 1,600 acres.
The village is normally regarded as a suburb of Nottingham. If you are planning a visit:
- Check out David HALLAM's Beeston Village website.
- By automobile the A52 runs through the very northern part of the village and the A6005 arterial off the M1 at junction 25 runs through the heart of the village.
- By rail, the Midlands Counties Railway provides service to Beeston station.
- Nottingham city provides daily bus service as well.
- David LALLY provides a picture of the new, modernized Beeston Square on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2017.
- We have an extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Beeston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Beeston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- In the early 1800s Beeston was known as a silk weaving centre.
- In 1831 the only silk mill in town was burned to the ground during the Reform Riots. In the 1880s, the replacement mill employed over 500 workers.
- By 1881 the town had a railway station on the Midland Railway, situated on Pasture Lane. At that time, about 78 trains passed through the station daily.
- In 1901 the National Telephone Company built a factory here to manufacture telephone equipment.
- In September 1909 the 17th Nottingham Boys' Brigade began meeting in a room at the Anglo-Scotian Mills. This Boys' Scouting group continues to meet now at the Pearson Centre for Young People. The 30th Nottingham Girls' Brigade also meets here.
- Ian CALDERWOOD provides a picture of The pavilion in the Hetley Pearson Recreation Ground on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2017. This is where the Boys and Girls meet.
- Beeston is noted for being the home of William Abednego THOMPSON (1811 to 1880), a famous bare-knuckle boxer. His nickname became "Bendigo" because of his habit of bobbing and weaving as he moved around the ring. Although born in Sneinton, Bendigo retired to Beeston where he died after falling down stairs in his house at age 69.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK527367 (Lat/Lon: 52.925134, -1.217544), Beeston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- David LALLY has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- Andrew ABBOTT has another perspective of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
- David LALLY also has a photograph of the Crimean War Memorial outside the parish church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2010.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Crimean War Memorial plaque on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2013.
- For a photograph and the list of names on the St. John the Baptist Church War Memorial, see the Nottingham County Council site.
- For a photograph and the list of names on the Chilwell Road Methodist War Memorial, see the Nottingham County Council site.
- For a photograph and the list of names on the Constitutional Club War Memorial, see the Nottingham County Council site.
- For a photograph and the list of names on the Lads Club War Memorial, see the Nottingham County Council site.
- For a photograph and the list of names on the St John's Sunday School War Memorial, see the Nottingham County Council site.
The earliest recorded name given to the area was Bestune.
There is also a village of Beeston which is a suburb of Leeds in West Yorkshire. Make sure that you are researching in the correct place.
In 1881 there was a Beeston Childrens' Orphan Home on Broughton Road. It moved, in 1882, to Imperial Road. In 1943 it became an Adoption Society and changed the name to The Children's Homes, Beeston. In 1949 the facility became the Silverwood Hostel.
There appears to be some confusion about the above facility. It was "gifted" to the city of Nottingham, but they claim to have no record of that transaction and claim that the facility belongs to Nottingham county, who also do not have a record of such transaction. BEWARE of government agencies bearing gifts!
- This place was an ancient parish of Nottinghamshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake.
- In 1935 the Civil Parish of Beeston was abolished and an area of 1,428 acres and 14,759 people were amalgamated to create Beeston with Stapleford Civil Parish.
- The remaining 173 acres and 1,256 people were amalgamated into Nottingham Civil Parish.
- The parish is currently governed as wards in the Bruxtowe Burough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
- Beeston had its own workhouse for the poor by 1775. This was operated under the Poor Law statute of 1601. When the Gilbert Act was passed in 1782, this workhouse became a poor house for the elderly and infirm poor. Working or able-bodied poor were denied entrance. The web-page author does not know the history of this facility.
- The Common Land was enclosed here by an Act passed in 1809. Parts of Bramcote Moor were enclosed in 1847.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.
- Four Almshouses were built in 1897 in Broughton Street to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria .
Year Inhabitants 1801 948 1821 1,534 1831 2,530 1841 2,807 1851 3,016 1871 3,134 1881 4,479
- A 5-member School Board was formed in 1881.
- In 1881, there was a National School on Brown Lane.
- In 1881, there was a Mill School for girls. It provided half-time education for girls in the employ of the silk mill run by John WATSON and his son.
- In 1881, there was a Wesleyan School in the town.
- Just to the north-west is the University of Nottingham.