"Bevercotes is a churchless parish, containing only 51 inhabitants and about 800 acres of rich land, belonging to the Duke of Newcastle, who is lord of the manor.
It had formerly a church, but it fell down nearly two centuries ago, and was never after rebuilt. Its inhabitants now use the church at West Markham, where they pay a modus of 1s 11d to the Archbishop at his visitations, and are provided with seat-room in consideration of an annuity paid by the Duke of Newcastle. The manor was held of the Honour of Tickhill, during many generations, by a family of its own name, whose heiress, in the reign of Henry VI, carried it in marriage to Rutland Mollyneux Esq., who sold it to the Earl of Clare, from whom it has descended to its present noble proprietor. The mother of Queen Anne was a collateral descendant of the Denmans of West Retford. One branch of this family is now settled here, and another resides in Derbyshire."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish was in the Tuxford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 849
1861 R.G. 9 / 2417
1871 R.G. 10 / 3457
1881 R.G. 11 / 3304
1891 R.G. 12 / 2642

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Giles.
  • Part of the church collapsed in 1650.
  • The church here was taken down around 1675.
  • The ecclesiastical parish was annexed to Markham Clinton shortly after 1650.
  • The parishioners attended services at West Markham.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Tuxford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This small hamlet and parish lie about 6 miles south of East Retford. The parish covers about 800 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A57 east out of Worksop and turn right (south) onto the B6387.
  • Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of Bevercoates Beck on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015.
You can see pictures of Bevercoates which are provided by:



The 1881 Post Office Directory of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire tells us:

"Bevercotes is a parish, about 1 ½ miles west (of Market Clinton), within the parliamentary borough of East Retford but for church purposes annexed to Markham Clinton, the old church having fallen down in 1650. The parish contains 718 acres, rateable value £804; there are 33 inhabitants. "



Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bevercoates has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Robert de Beverell (Bevercotes) was lord of Bevercotes in 1203.
  • William de Bevercotes, who was Chancellor for Scotland was commanded by Edward I to lead troops to Berwick for his Scottish campaign.
  • A probable link with the Pilgrim fathers is a Congregational record of 1603 of the marriage in Amsterdam of Thomas WILSON of Beverkorts, bombazine maker, and Jane CROSS of Essex. Bombazine was a twilled dress fabric that fell out of fashion around 1900.
  • Bevercotes Colliery was demolished around 2000. The land is now part of the Woodland Trust.
  • The entire village of Bevercotes has been designated as a Conservation Area by the District Council.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK699726 (Lat/Lon: 53.245827, -0.953946), Bevercoates which are provided by:


Military History

There is no record of a War Memorial in this parish.


Names, Geographical

Although the name as "Bevercoates" predominates in many older records, the spelling of "Bevercotes" is now accepted as standard.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (or Hundred).
  • The parish has merged with Markham Clinton parish for local council support.
  • District governance is provided by the Bassetlaw District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Retford petty session hearings held in West Retford.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the East Retford Poor Law Union.


 Year Population
1801 30
1851 51
1861 48
1871 33
1881 32
1891 40
1901 29
1911 39