White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Bole is a small village and parish on the west bank of the Trent, 2 miles south-west of Gainsborough, containing about 220 inhabitants and 1,163 acres of land, mostly a strong clay, except on the Trent bank, where it is a rich loamy marsh. Owing to the river having changed its ancient course, about 110 acres of land which adjoin this parish, are in Lincolnshire, and is the property of Sir Charles Anderson, of Lea Hall. The manor and rectory of Bole form a prebend for the maintenance of a prebendary in York Cathedral, but Lord Wenlock, the lord of the manor, is lessee of the prebendal lands and rectorial tithes. The great tithe is redeemed, except on a few small freeholds, and the vicarial tithe amounts to about £120 per annum. Lord Wenlock is owner of all the land except about 50 acres.
The church, dedicated to St Martin, is an ancient edifice, with chancel, tower and three bells. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £4 13s 4d, now £100. It is a peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York. The Prebendary of Bole is the patron, and the Rev. john Henry Willan of Gainsborough is the vicar. In 1394, Richard II granted leave to William Rothwell to assign for the support of the vicar and his successors, "eight acres of land and six of pasture", which lands were held of John Danby, clerk, as of the Prebend of Bole, by two appearances at the court of Bole, and paying 2d. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village.
Charities. In 1671 a person unknown left 5s yearly to the poor, out of a farm at Welham, and in 1745, George Mower Esq. paid 68 years arrears of this annuity, amounting to £17 which, with other gifts, were expended in the purchase of a house and rood of land, now let for about £7 per annum, which is distributed yearly by the church wardens. The following legacies have been bequeathed for the education of the poor and their yearly amount: £4 6s is paid to the schoolmaster, for teaching poor children, viz. 40s yearly left in 1781 by William Nettleship, £30 left in 1807 by John Nettleship, and £30 bequeathed in 1820 by Robert Wilkinson.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]