"Bothamsall or Bottomsall parish lies east of Clumber Park, betwixt and near the confluence of the rivers Wollen and Idel, and the village is pleasantly situated near the Retford and Ollerton road, 4½ miles north by east of the latter. The parish contains 1,712 acres of land, including wood and plantations, containing a variety of soil, but mostly a sandy loam, and 319 inhabitants. The Duke of Newcastle is the sole owner, lord of the manor and improprietor.
The church of St Mary is a perpetual curacy, of the certified value of £52, of which the Rev. Henry Fynes Clinton is the incumbent. The church was rebuilt in 1844 by His Grace, on the site of the old one. It is a neat gothic structure, with nave, chancel, north aisle and pinnacled tower, with three bells. There is also a handsome parsonage, a little east of the church. The stone principally used was brought from Worksop Manor, a great part of which is taken down. In 1852, the Duke of Newcastle converted a barn into a small National School, and he also pays the teacher's salary. The manor, before the Conquest, was held by Earl Tosti, but afterwards by Ralph de St George and Richard de Furnell, who gave the rectory to the Abbey of Welbeck, but in the 20th year of Queen Elizabeth, the tithes and manor were granted to the Earl of Lincoln. Haughton Park, enclosed about 50 years ago, is in this parish. Here are situated the Duke's Kennels, with a neat house, occupied by the head gamekeeper."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]