"BUNNEY is a compact village and parish under the Wolds, seven miles south of Nottingham, upon the Leicester road; its parish has united with it the adjacent parish of Bradmore. and they together contain 737 inhabitants, and 3,560 acres of Iand, of the value of £5,000, of which the heirs of the late Lord Rancliffe are lord of the manor, owners of the soil, and impropriators. The rectorial tithes are included in the rent of the farms, and allotments of land were awarded for the vicaral tithes at the enclosure in 1798.
Bunney church is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains several monuments of the Parkyns family, who purchased these lordships in the reign of Elizabeth.  In the chancel is a tomb to the memory of Sir Thomas Parkyns, Batt., the famous wrestler who died in 1741, aged 78.  By the inscription we are informed that he new-roofed the chancel, built the vault below, and erected this monument, that he studied physic for the benefit of his neighbours, and wrote the “Cornish Hug WrestIer." He is represented on one part of the monument in a posture ready for wrestling; and on another he appears thrown by time, accompanied by a suitable stanza.
Bunney Park Hall is a handsome mansion, situated at the end of the Park, near the village. The park is well wooded and has a long avenue of lofty trees, with a profusion of bramble and other cover for the game. The school, with almshouses for from two to four poor widows, and apartments for the master, was built in 1700 by Sir Thomas Parkyns."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish was in the Wilford sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 863
1851 H.O. 107 / 2128
1861 R.G. 9 / 2446
1871 R.G. 10 / 3497
1891 R.G. 12 / 2680

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • The church is believed to date from about 1600.
  • The church was partially restored in 1890.
  • The church seats 300.
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of St Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of St Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.

Church Records


Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Wilford sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This village and parish are 7 miles south of Nottingham on the high road to Longborough (now the A60 trunk road). The parish covers just over 2,050 acres and includes Windmill Hill.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By bus or coach, check the Carlberry web site for route information.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017. You should stop in when they are open and request a schedule of forth-coming events.
You can see pictures of Bunny which are provided by:



John Marius WILSON's, "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72" describes this place as:

"BUNNY, a parish in Basford district, Notts; 5 miles SE of Beeston r. station, and 6½ S of Nottingham. Post Town, Plumtree, under Nottingham. Acres, 2,000. Real property, £3,415. Pop., 273. Houses, 68. The property is all in one estate. Bunny Park was the seat of the erudite and eccentric Sir T. Parkyns; and passed to Lord Rancliffe. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Bradmore, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £.425. Patron, Mrs. Forteath. The church is partly decorated English, and has a crocketted spire. There is an endowed school. "



Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bunny has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Andy JAMIESON has a photograph of the Rancliffe Arms on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2009.


Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Bunny Hall's tower on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.



  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK583295 (Lat/Lon: 52.85984, -1.135543), Bunny which are provided by:


Military History

Inside of St. Mary's Church there is a wall-mounted white marble plaque with black inscription honoring the men of the Bunny area who fell in World War One.


Military Records

There are the 9 names listed on the War MemoriaI:

  1. Richard Henry ANDERSON
  2. Francis Hugh Leslie BOWETT
  3. John Davis BUXTON
  5. Thomas Bosworth COLLINGS
  1. Edward Henry Noble CORDEUX
  2. Charles Edward HALLAM
  3. Edwin HENSON
  4. Frederick JOHNSON

The names on the War Memorial plaque can be found at the Nottinghamshire County site with details of service, family, etc.


Names, Geographical

The ancient name of this village and parish was "bune", an Old English word for "reed".

The parish name has been listed as Bunny, Bunney, and Boney in historical records. "Bunny" is the currently accepted version.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Rushcliffe Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
  • You may contact the local Bunny Parish Council regarding civic or politcal issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Richard ROGERSON has a photograph of the Almshouses founded by Sir Thomas PARKYNS in 1700 on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2010.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1798.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.


Year Inhabitants
1801 359
1811 374
1821 395
1841 360
1871 226
1881 262
1891 239


The village school was originally built in 1700 by Sir Thomas PARKYNS.