Burton Joyce


"Burton Joyce, anciently called Burton Jorz, from a distinguised family of that name, who were owners till the reign of Henry VIII. It is a pleasant, well-built village on the Southwell Road, six miles north-east by east of Nottingham, sheltered on the north by a range of lofty hills, which bound the vale of the Trent. Its parish includes the small chapelry of Bulcote. Burton Joyce is mostly the property of the Earl of Chesterfield, but R.W. Padley Esq. and Thomas Wilson M.D. have estates here. It contains 690 inhabitants and upwards of 1,000 acres of land, enclosed in 1770, when allotments were made in lieu of the tithes. The Earl is also lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £4 19s 2d, now £145, and has 70 acres of glebe, exclusive of land at Lowdham, purchased with Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. John Rolleston M.A. is the incumbent."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The Burton Joyce Cemetery, opened for burials in 1879, following the closure of burials in the churchyard.
  • The Cemetery is managed by the Parish Council.


  • The parish was in the Southwell sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 865
1851 H.O. 107 / 2128 & 2134
1861 R.G. 9 / 2445 & 2471
1871 R.G. 10 / 3495
1891 R.G. 12 / 2678

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Helen.
  • The church was founded during the reign of Edward the Confessor.
  • The church was restored in 1879.
  • The church seats 220.
  • The churchyard was closed to new burials in 1879, but older plots could be used to inter ashes.
  • The Anglican parish chapel in Bulcote was rebuilt in 1862, replacing an ancient Saxon place of worship.
  • John has a photograph of the Church Lychgate on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2008.
  • John also provides an inside view of St. Helen's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2009.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1559 and has been kept in excellent condition.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Gedling.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here in 1824 and replaced it in 1908.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
  • The Congregationalists had a chapel built here in 1870.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the former Congregationalist Church in Lambley Lane on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008. It is now the United Reformed Church.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Southwell sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Burton Joyce is both a village and a parish on the River Trent, 135 miles north of London, about 5.5 miles north-east of Nottingham city and 9 miles south-west of Southwell. The parish covers 1,390 acres.

Bulcote is a small village and Chapelry often associated with this parish, although it was officially an extra-parochial area. It was also in a different Poorlaw Union (Southwell) and sat 1 mile north-east of Burton Joyce village.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A612 arteria road north-east out of Nottingham city. After about 5 miles, the A612 bisects the village of Burton Joyce.
  • There is a train station at Burton Joyce, made considerably smaller in the 1960s. At last check, there was still passenger service from Nottingham or Newark-on-Trent.
You can see pictures of Burton Joyce which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Burton Joyce has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK648438 (Lat/Lon: 52.987627, -1.036167), Burton Joyce which are provided by:


Military History

  • The War Memorial was erected in the village centre. It is the locus of the annual Remembrance Day celebration.
  • John has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2008.
  • In December, 1908, Major Godfrey T. WILLIAMS of the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) retired and settled here.
  • The Parish of Burton Joyce with Bulcote gallantly did its part and share in World War I. Of 122 men, 15 made the Great Sacrifice having fallen in action or have died through wounds or disease.

Military Records

There are the 16 names listed on the War MemoriaI for World War I:

  1. Edmund Reggie BLATHERWICK
  2. Henry BRYAN
  3. George Islip COY
  4. Francis Joseph FOSTER
  5. George Robert HAMMOND
  6. Frederick William HARDY
  7. Arthur HUCKNALL
  8. John William HUCKNALL
  1. Richard Bernard HUCKNALL
  2. George JACKSON
  3. Albert SHAW
  4. Ernest SHAW
  5. H. W. SHAW
  6. Harold Edward SIMPKIN
  7. Charles Arthur STAPLETON
  8. Cyril Charles WYATT


Ask for copies of the Parish Magazine.


Politics & Government

  • The place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county but it did not become a modern Civil Parish until December, 1866. At that time Bulcote was separated into its own Civil Parish.
  • The parish was in the southern division of the ancient Thurgaton Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
  • You may contact the local Burton Joyce Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
  • In 1974, the parish joined the new Gedling Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1770.
  • Around 1786, the parish built a poorhouse for the united parishes of Gedling, Burton Joyce and Shelford. It was taken down in 1839 except for a small portion converted into a cottage.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.
  • The Bulcote extra-parochial area became a part of the Southwell Poor Law Union.


 Year Burton Joyce Bulcote
1801 447 148
1821 508 -
1841 610 -
1851 690 83
1861 698 136
1881 668 111
1901 931 93


  • A National School was built here in 1868.