White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Carlton-in-Lindrick, Kingston-in-Carlton and Wigthorpe
Carlton-in-Lindrick parish comprises the two townships and constablewicks of Carlton-in-Lindrick (sometimes called South Carlton) and Kingston-in-Carlton, pleasantly situated on the road betwixt Tickhill and Worksop, 4 miles north of the latter. In Saxon times it was of sufficient consequence to have six resident thanes, each having a hall or manor, but these were all possessed by Roger de Busli at the Norman Conquest. The family of Chevercourt held it under him, but their heirs failing, it was divided between the Latimers and the Fitzhughs, from whom it passed to the Dacres, Molyneux, Talors and Cliftons.
The Hall, a beautiful modern mansion in a fine vale, a little west of South Carlton, was built by Mrs Ramsden, grandmother to Robert Ramsden Esq., the present lord of the manor, and principal owner. george Savile Foljambe, John Hunt, Edward Challenger and John Vessey Machine Esqs., Mrs Ann Spurr and the rector have estates here, the latter of whom received his portion at the enclosure in 1767, as a commutation of all the tithes of the parish, which contains 1,092 inhabitants and 4,070 acres of land.
The church, dedicated to St John, is a handsome gothic edifice, with a tower and three bells, situated at South carlton. It underwent considerable repairs in 1831, when a new south aisle was erected, in unison with the rest of the building, which is in the style that prevailed at the time of Henry VI, and in 1851 a new clock was put up in the church at a cost of £200, by Robert Ramsden Esq. Under the new aisle, Sir Thomas White has formed a spacious family vault. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £15 3s 4d, now at £576. The Archbishop of York is the patron, and the Rev. Charles George Whitaker Smith the incumbent. The rectory is a large, neat mansion near the church.
Kingston-in-Carlton, which is commonly called North Carlton, was anciently so called from being the King's manor, and Carlton-in-Lindrick, often called South Carlton, may be supposed to have the distinctive part of its name from the Saxon Lind or Linden. Here is a small Methodist chapel. The South Common Field, 2a 3r 36p, let for upwards of £6, belongs to the church. In 1831, Robert Ramsden Esq. erected three schools, and he now allows a salary to a master and mistress, who have under their care 350 children. He has also established a library for the use of the parishioners, which contains 1,640 volumes. The two hamlets support their poor and roads conjointly.
Broom House and Holme House are two farms, the former half a mile south, and the latter one mile west of South Carlton.
Wigthorpe is a small hamlet 3 miles north of Worksop, in the constablewick of South Carlton, which maintains its poor conjointly with North Carlton.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]