White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Coddington is a small village and parish, two and a half miles east of Newark, situated on a gentle declivity on the Sleaford Road. It contains 577 inhabitants and 1,830 acres of land, at the rateable value of £2,247 5s 0d.
The church is dedicated to All Saints, is a small ancient building with a tower and three bells, and is annexed to East Stoke vicarage. At the enclosure, 213 acres of land was awarded to the Prebendary of East Stoke in Lincoln Cathedral, and the vicar in lieu of tithe. A Methodist chapel was erected here in 1847. Here was a richly endowed chantry, founded by Henry of Coddington, to pray for his soul which, at the dissolution, was granted to Sir Edward Bray, John Thornton &c. Beaconfield House, one mile west of the church, is a large neat mansion, and the seat and property of James Thorpe Esq., besides whom, Mr John Young, Garrott Ordyno, Stephen Ashwell, Francis Fryer, Henry Gilbert Esq. and Godfrey Tallents Esq. are owners. The land is mostly freehold, but the manor said to be soc to Newark.
A neat national school was erected here of stone in 1846, and will accommodate 90 pupils, average number 70. Mr Edwin Unwin is the present master. Joseph Birks, in 1738, left 90a 1r 0p of land. of which 3a 5r is let to poor families, who have a rood each, and the whole rental now is about £140. They have also £2 yearly out of Beaconfield, left by Mr Bell, and the interest of £20, left in 1809 by Jacob Ordeyno.
White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire." 1853
[Transcribed by Clive Henly, surname corrections by Louis R. Mills]