"COLWICK, a parish in Basford district, Notts; on the river Trent, and on the Nottingham and Grantham railway, 2½ miles E of Nottingham. Post town, Nottingham. Acres, 1, 255. Real property, £3,412. Pop., 110. Houses, 20. The property is all in one estate. Colwick Hall is the seat of J. Musters, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £220. Patron, J. Chaworth Musters, Esq. The church is good; and has monuments of the Musterses and the Byrons."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]


Archives & Libraries

The Library at Nottingham will prove useful in your research.



John SUTTON has a photograph of some Slate headstones on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012. These are in the old St John the Baptist churchyard west of the village.



  • The parish was in the Carlton sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 865
1851 H.O. 107 / 2128
1861 R.G. 9 / 2445
1871 R.G. 10 / 3496
1891 R.G. 12 / 2679

Church History

  • There was a church and a priest here at the time of the 1086 Domesday Book.
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
  • The church stood close to Colwick Hall.
  • The church was repaired and partially rebuilt in 1684.
  • The church stands now, partly ruined. It was closed as unsafe in 1936.
  • The church is a Grade II listed structure with British Heritage.
  • A new Anglican parish church was built in 1950, consecrated in June, 1951, and dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the new St. John the Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2009.
  • Alan has another photograph of the same church on geo-graph, taken in December, 2020.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1569 and is on parchment in fair condition.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Nottingham.
  • The Congregationalists opened a chapel at Colwick Vale in 1903.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Carlton sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Colwick is a small village and was a parish which stood under a long range of hills on the north and west bank of the Trent River. The village stood 3 miles east of Nottingham proper and 125 miles north of London. It is now a part of the conurbation of Nottingham city.

The village was once known for producing "Colwick Cheese". If you are planning a visit:

  • Start your visit in Nottingham and ask the local tourist office how to find Colwick.
  • Netherfield station is the closest passenger rail station.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the new Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
You can see pictures of Colwick which are provided by:






Historical Geography

Colwick Woods park lies just north of the A612 Arterial Road west of the village. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Snow in Colwick Woods Park on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2021.

You can see the administrative areas in which Colwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Colwick Inn on Geo-graph, taken in ebruary, 2009. This Inn is on the boundary with Nottingham City.


Land & Property

Lt.-Col. Sir Horatio David DAVIES, KCMG, of the 3rd Middlesex Artillery, was the lord of the manor and sole landowner here in 1912. He was not a resident of the parish in that year. He is perhaps more famous for the invention and promotion of Pimm's Cup.



  • Colwick Hall was built in 1776. It stood about a mile west of the village on the banks of the Trent River.
  • Colwick Hall suffered considerable damage from the Nottingham reform rioters of 1831.
  • The Hall was converted to a hotel some time before 1912.
  • Mat FASCIONE provides us with a photograph of Colwick Hall Hotel on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2016.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK619405 (Lat/Lon: 52.958309, -1.07999), Colwick which are provided by:


Military History

  • The War Memorial is a simple obelisk of Portland stone commemorated to all who gave their lives in conflict. IT was erected just outside of St. John's Church.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
  • Inside the church there are two War Memorials. One is a framed paper document listing 11 men who died in World War I. The other lists 19 who perished in the Great War.

Military Records

For photographs of the Colwick War Memorials and the list of names on them, see the Southwell Church History Project site.

There are the 11 names listed on the framed War Memorial in the church:

  1. Harold BRAILSFORD, 7th Btln. Leics Regt.
  2. Walter BUNNY, RFA (Name as BUNNEY on CWGC)
  3. William Frederick CHAMBERS, 2nd Btln. Lincs. Regt.
  4. Frederick John CLAYTON, Royal Engineers
  5. George William HOLLAND, North Staffs. Regt.
  6. Alfred Arnold NEALE, 5th Btln. Lincs. Regt.
  7. Cecil Thomas PRATT, 1/8th Btln. Sherwood Foresters
  8. Sidney SMITH, 17th Btln. Sherwood Foresters
  9. Alfred Walter TAYLOR, Royal Engineers
  10. George Wiliam TOULSON, Lancashire Fusiliers
  11. Robert Eric VOCE, 12/13th Btln. Northumberland Fusiliers

Details on these individuals can be found at the Nottingham War Memorials web site.

There are the 19 names listed on the second War Memorial in the church:

  1. Samuel BASS, Australian Infantry
  2. Henry Graham BENSON, 2nd Btln Suffolk Regt.
  3. John William BERRIDGE, 6th Btln Leics. Regt.
  4. Horace BURDEN, RN, HMS Princess Irene
  5. George DAUBNEY, Royal Field Artillery
  6. Alfred Arnold NEALE, 5th Btln. Lincs. Regt.
  7. Alfred James FOLKES, RN, HMS Bayano
  8. Charles HARRISON, Canadian R. R.
  9. George Edwards JOHNSON, Royal Engineers
  10. Henry JONES, Royal Army Medical Corps
  11. William KIRK, South Notts. Hussars
  12. George MARSHALL, Sherwood Foresters
  13. Frederick POTTINGER, 2nd Btln. Sherwood Foresters
  14. John RUDKIN, 1/8th Btln. Sherwood Foresters
  15. Thomas Bernard SHEPHERD, 1st Btln. Leics. Regt.
  16. Horace SMITH, 10th Btln. Sherwood Foresters
  17. Joseph TODD, Lincs. Regt..
  18. Bernard TOOTELL, 4th Sqdn Royal Flying Corps
  19. Arthur Elijah WAKEFIELD, South Nottis. Hussars
  20. Bernard WARD, 15th Btln. Sherwood Foresters

Details on these individuals can be found at the Nottingham War Memorials web site.


Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the northern division of the ancient Thurgaton Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
  • The parish was abolished in April, 1935, and divided between Nottingham City, Carlton and Holme Pierrepont Civil Parishes.
  • A large art of Colwick Parish is now part of the City of Nottingham.
  • You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
  • In 1974, the parish joined the new Gedling Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Basford Poor Law Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 116
1841 109
1851 120
1861 110
1871 101
1881 113
1891 450
1901 899
1911 1,055
1921 1,423


A Public Elementary School (mixed and infants) was built here in 1895. It was enlarged in 1898 to hold 150 students. Average attendance in 1912 was 117.

John SUTTON has a photograph of St. John the Baptist C of E Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2015.