EAKRING,; is an extensive village and parish, situated on a gentle acclivity, 4 miles S. by E. of Ollerton, comprising 710 inhabitants, and 2,397 acres of land; Earl Manvers and the Earl of Scarborough are the principal owners, there are also a few small freeholders in the parish. The two noble Earls are lords of the manor, and they each hold a court baron at Michaelmas.
The Church, which stands on an eminence, is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells; the roof of this venerable edifice was burnt down in 1837, but it was covered with slates at the expense of the parishioners the same year. The living is a rectory valued in the King’s books at £9. 16s Od.; now at £480. The Rev. Theophilus Sampson, the present incumbent, was presented to the living in 1830, by the Earl of Scarborough, and resides in an old rectory house near the east end of the church, The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £600., including a rent charge of £10. on the glebe.
WHITE's History, Directory and Gazetteer of Nottinghamshire, 1853.