"East Bridgford, or Bridgeford on the Hill, is a large and well built village, on the summit of a precipitous bank, that rises on the south side of the Trent, opposite Gunthorpe Ferry. The parish contains 1,155 inhabitants, and 1,910 acres of loamy land, which was enclosed in 1798, when 326 acres (now called New Bridgford), were allotted in lieu of rectorial tithes. The greater part of the parish belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford, with the remainder belonging to several freeholders.
After the conquest, the manor was given to Roger de Busli, who gave the tithes of the hall in Brugeford to the Priory of Blyth. The manor was successively held by the Carpenters, Bisets, Caltofts, Brabazons, Basingburns, Deyncourts and Botcelars, the latter of whom, in the 8th of Edward Fourth, gave their moiety to William, Bishop of Winchester, who bestowed it on Magdalen College, which he had founded at Oxford. The other moiety afterwards passed from Lord Sheffield to the Backers, Chaworths, Scroops, &tc, &tc,.
In the parish is found both opaque and transparent gypsum, the latter of which is very beautiful, and during the last twenty years has been in great demand amongst the lapidaries of Derby and other places, who turn it into beads and various other ornaments, in which it looks as brilliant and richly variegated as the Derbyshire spar. There are several neat mansions in the village, occupied by Captain Geo. Bohua Martin, Mrs Brooks, Geo. Beaumont, Esq.and the Rev. R. William Hut&ins, B.D,, the latter of whom now enjoys the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £19 18s 6d , now at £752, and is in the patronage of Magdalen College."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]