White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Edingley, Ormondthorpe and Greaves Lane
Edingley is a pleasant village and parish, three miles west-north-west of Southwell. Its parish comprises 381 inhabitants and 1,692 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1778, when allotments were made in lieu of tithes. It is in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby. The archbishop is lord of the manor, and the chapter of Southwell are the appropriators and patrons of the perpetual curacy, which is valued in the King's books at £4, now at £80. A great part of the soil is copyhold or leasehold under them, and the rest belongs to a number of freeholders, the principal of whom are Mr Gunton, V.S. Burnell Esq., Mr John Hage, Mr Edward Cope, Mr George Pursey, Mr Samuel Ward, Mr John Alcock and the Rev. J.D. Beecher.
The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St Giles. The chancel was rebuilt by Henry Machon Esq. of Gatefoed Hill, in 1844, when the church was thoroughly repaired at the expense of the parish. The Rev. James Francis Dimock is the incumbent. The Methodists have a chapel here, erected in 1838. A feast is held on the Sunday after Old St Giles's Day.
The Manor House is a very ancient building, situated near the church. It was formerly surrounded by a moat, and had a draw-bridge. The cotton mill, which had given employment to a great number of the villagers, was bought in 1837 by H. Machon Esq., and taken down in 1842, previous to which it had been unoccupied several years.
The school was endowed by John Lamb and Samuel Wright in 1731, with a house and 5½ acres of land, to which 3a 1r 22p was added at the enclosure. The poor have £14 11s yearly, arising from several benefactions.
Ormondthorpe, 1 mile north-east, and Greaves Lane, 1 mile south-west of the village, are two hamlets within the parish.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]