"Edwalton, formerly Edwald's Town, is a small, secluded village and parish, near the Melton Mowbray Road, 3½ miles south south east of Nottingham, containing 118 inhabitants and about 800 acres of land which, 60 years ago, was so boggy and indifferent, that it could scarcely be let at any price, but has been much improved within the last twenty years by draining and superior cultivation. John C. Musters Esq. (a minor) is owner, lord of the manor, and patron of the perpetual curacy, valued at £97, which has been augmented with Queen Anne's bounty.
The church, dedicated to Holy Rood, is a humble edifice, and has a brick tower with three bells. The Rev. John Peatfield is the incumbent. In the burial ground is a stone to the memory of Rebecca Freeland, who died in 1741, which says,"

'She drank good ale, good punch, and wine
And lived to the age of ninety-nine'

"A feast is held on the Sunday after old St Luke's, or on that day if it falls on a Sunday -- Directory. Mrs. Eliz. Flint, Edwin Hoyles, Esq.; Wm. Taylor, parish clerk; William Thurman, joiner; and Wm. Daniels, Benjamin Howard, Thos. Marriott, Matthew Martin, Edward Peet, William Sanders, and John Tnrner, farmers."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish was in the Ratcliffe upon Trent sub-district of the Bingham Registration District until 1883.
  • The parish was re-assigned to the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District in late 1883.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2486
1871 R.G. 10 / 3549
1891 R.G. 12 / 2718

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Rood.
  • The church was internally restored in 1881.
  • The church chancel was was built anew in 1894. The old chancel had fallen down in the 17th century.
  • The church seats 110.
  • There is a photograph of Holy Rood Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Church chancel on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1550.
  • Nottingham Archives holds the parish registers for baptisms from 1641 thru 1968.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of West Bingham.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Ratcliffe upon Trent sub-district of the Bingham Registration District until 1883.
  • The parish was re-assigned to the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District in late 1883.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This place is a village and a parish in the southern part of the county, 3.5 miles southeast of Nottingham and 16 miles northwest of Melton Mowbray. The parish is near the Grantham Canal and covers 831 acres.

If you are planning a visit to the village:

  • By automobile, take the A606 southeast out of Nottingham. At Tollerton, turn left (north) and drive through that village to reach the village of Edwalton.
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of the bus terminus for the No. 6 line on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.
  • David LALLY has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
You can see pictures of Edwalton which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Edwalton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK594352 (Lat/Lon: 52.910954, -1.118169), Edwalton which are provided by:


Military History

  • Oliver HIND built Almshouses (see Poorhouses, below) in memory of his brother, Lt.-Col Lawrence HIND MC, who died in World War I, and a nephew, Lt. James HIND, who died at Thiepval in that same war.
  • In the church there is a brass plaque and a lectern to the memory of the men of Edwalton who were killed in action during the Great War AD 1914-1918.

Military Records

There is one Commonwealth War Grave in Holy Rood churchyard from World War I:

  1. Charles R. ORR, priv., 3rd Btn. Grenadier Guards, age 29, died 28 Mar 1915.

There are the 3 names listed on the War MemoriaI plaque in Holy Rood Church:

  1. William BALL
  2. James Henry HALL
  3. Lawrence Arthur HIND

Major Arthur William BREWILL, DSO, was a local hero in WWI. He was buried in Holy Rood Churchyard in 1923.

His son, Lionel Colin BREWILL was born in Edwalton in 1889.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Nottingham county and it became a modern Civil Parish shortly after those were established.
  • The parish was in the ancient Rushcliffe Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
  • In March, 1889, the parish was enlarged by gaining a potion of West Bridgford Civil Parish.
  • In April, 1935, the parish was abolished and amalgamated with West Bridgford Civil Parish.
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of the Hind Almshouses built in 1927 on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 126
1831 130
1851 118
1871 107
1881 113
1891 234
1901 228
1911 205


A school opened here in 1900, held in the Parish Meeting Room.