"This very extensive parish is situated in the heart of Sherwood Forest, and contains some fine old woodland scenery, many modern plantations, and several open tracts of forest land, which afford good pasturage for sheep. A large portion of it was not enclosed till 1818, and 1,823 acres forms the beautiful park and pleasure grounds of Thoresby Hall, exclusive of 1,752 acres in Pearlthorpe, from which it stretches northward to Carburton, near Clumber and Welbeck, southward to the market town of Ollerton, and westward to Clipstone Park, extending to within three miles of Mansfield. The rivers Medin and Maun traverse it from east to west, as also does the Duke of Portland's Flood Dike, by which such fertility is produced that three crops of hay are annually got, with abundance of grass, on this once barren district. Besides the church at Edwinstowe, the parish has two chapels of ease and a parochial chapelry. It contains 2,635 inhabitants and 18,644 acres, divided into six townships. Edwinstowe is a large village, pleasantly situated on a gentle declivity 2 miles west of Ollerton. It contains 1,006 inhabitants and 5,815 acres of land. It is extremely rural and the church, dedicated to St Mary, is a venerable structure with nave, chancel, side aisles, tower, and lofty spire, which was repaired in 1816, and may be seen at a considerable distance. It is highly ornamented with "turret-looking Gothic niches", and has annexed to it the chapels of Ollerton and Carburton. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £14, now £632."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Edwinstow Library is on the High Street, down toward the River Maun. It is normally closed on Mondays and Wednesdays. The library has a Facebook presence and the staff are acquainted with family history research.
The Library at Ollerton would also be a good resource.
Although a tad farter away, the Library at Southwell would also be a good resource.
Edwinstowe Cemetery is managed by the Edwinstowe Parish Council. The Cemetery is alongside the visitor centre at Sherwood Forest on the north edge of Edwinstowe village.
- The parish was in the Kneesal sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849 & 850|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2135|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2422 & 2473|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3535 & 3536|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2709|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
- Edwinstowe had a wooden church during its Saxon period.
- The Domesday Survey records a church, a priest, and 4 Bordars.
- The present church was built in 1175.
- The church was enlarged and improved in 1342 an again in 1450.
- Legend has it that Robin Hood married Maid Marian in this church.
- The church porch was restored in 1903.
- The church seats 550.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
- John SALMON has a photograph of the church interior on Geo-graph, taken in 1993.
- Norman GRIFFIN has a photograph of the church spire on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2017.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1630 and is in fair condition.
- The parish was in the rural deanery of Worksop (the #3 deanery of Retford).
- The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1848.
- The Primitive Methodist chapel was also built in 1848.
- The parish was in the Kneesal sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
Edwinstowe is a large township, a village and was an extensive parish in the middle of Sherwood Forest. It is divided by the A6075 trunk road east out of Mansfield and west out of Tuxford. At one time the parish included the market town of Ollerton and the townships of Budby, Carburton and Clipstone. The parish covered 17,649 acres in 1881 and included the hamlets of Thoresby, Blackcliff Hill, Kingstand and Car Brake (or Car Brecks). Since 1901, the parish has covered only 4,407 acres
The village lies on the north bank of the River Maun. If you are planning a visit:
- There is no local passenger rail service.
- We have an extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Edwinstowe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Edwinstowe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Edwin, King of Northumbria, was killed in the battle of Hatfield Chase in 632 or 633 and his body was (allegedly) hidden in this parish before burial.
- The parish held a cattle fair on each 24th of October.
- The village feast was held on the Sunday following the cattle fair.
- The village currently hosts a Robin Hood Festival in early August.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Royal Oak public house on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016.
- Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Dukeries Lodge on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2015. This used to be "The Dukeries Hotel" around 1900.
- And J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Black Swan public house on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.
- Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the Forest Lodge Hotel on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014. The hotel was an 18th century coaching inn.
Edwinstowe Hall was, for a period, the home of the Earls of Scarborough.
The present Hall was built in 1757.
David BEVIS provides a photograph of Edwinstowe Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
Here is a photograph of Clipstone Archway House, provided by (and copyright held by) Matthew BATES:
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK626668 (Lat/Lon: 53.194608, -1.064462), Edwinstowe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The list of names can be seen at: Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project.
The Great War Bulletin for December 14, 1914 tells us that:
"CAPTAIN HUGH B. T. HUME of the 8th Battalion Sherwood Foresters was invalided home from France on Saturday suffering from “an internal complaint”. He had been drafted to India shortly after his wedding a year ago to Miss Muriel WRIGHT of Edwinstowe House; and was moved to the Western Front only a few weeks ago.
The gallant Captain is staying at Edwinstowe House and reported to be making a steady recovery."
The World War One Memorial carries the following names (all are listed as having died during the war):
- Allcock, H. W.
- Bellfield, C. J.
- Bentley, C.
- Bentley, Ernest
- Bowyer, N. H.
- Branford, C. W.
- Coupe, G. W.
- Creamer, J. W.
- Deakin, M.
- Dolby, J.
- Dorsey, E. R.
- Dumbarton, W. C.
- Estrop, E.
- Harrison, S.
- Jackson, A. C.
- Little, W. H.
- Parsons, F.
- Pinder, A.
- Pinder, S. R.
- Rabbitt, E.
- Rabbitt, F.
- Rabbitt, H.
- Rabbitt, W.
- Roberts, J. G. M.
- Rodgers, B.
- Rodgers, S.
- Steeples, S. C.
- Thompson, F. C.
- Wardale, C.
- Wilkinson, W.
- Wilson, C.
The Imperial War Museum claims that there are 28 names for WWI. The Southwell Church History Project lists 31. If you note any errors, duplicates or misspellings, please notify the Genuki site maintainer (at the bottom of the page). The World War Two names are:
- G. ASKEW
- J. E. FOY
- J. GREENFIELD
- E. HOE
- J. JONES
- J. LACEY
- E. G .REDDISH
- C. REEDMAN
- R. H. RICHARDSON
- F. SARGEANT
- H. SPERRINK
- C. H. WINTER
- O. W. WOODHEAD
- C. E. WRIGHT
- This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham but did not become a modern Civil Parish until December, 1866.
- In December, 1866, Carburton became its own Civil Parish.
- The parish was in the Hatfield division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake in the northern division of the county.
- In October, 1899, Perlethorpe cum Budby Civil Parish was created and carved from this Civil Parish.
- In April, 1957, this Civil Parish gave up 45 acres to enlarge Ollerton Civil Parish.
- The Parish Council meets in the Village Hall on Mansfield Road.
- Brian WESTLAKE has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012. Drop in when the Hall is open and request a copy of the schedule of forth-coming events.
- You may contact the Edwinstowe Parish Council concerning civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist you with family history searches. You CAN, however read the parish magazines online.
- In 2011, Clipstone township was split off as a separate civil parish, known as King's Clipstone Civil Parish.
- District governance is provided by the Newark and Sherwood District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Worksop petty sessional hearings.
- The parish had four almshouses founded in 1698 by the Rev. John BELLAMY and his wife Ellen. These were for poor widows and were still in use in 1912.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1818.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Southwell Poor Law Union.
Year Edwinstowe Budby Carburton Clipstone Ollerton Perlethorpe 1801 506 145 122 134 439 73 1841 1,009 147 161 265 937 80 1851 1,316 - - - - - 1901 986 120 148 273 690 158
- In 1719, the Rev. John and Ellen BELLAMY left an endowment for the education of eight boys. The original schoolhouse was rebuilt in 1824. A National School was eventually built in 1872 as part of this endowment. It could hold 153 students/
- An Infant School was built in 1845, funded by Earl Manvers.
The Edwinstowe Historical Society holds monthly meetings from September through June.