Description in 1871: "EGMANTON, a parish in Southwell district, Notts; 2½ miles SW of Tuxford r. station, and 5 ENE of Ollerton. It has a post office under Newark. Acres, 2, 220. Real property, £2,283. Pop., 386. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Henry I. to Nigel d'Albini. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £148. Patron, the Duke of Norfolk. The church is tolerable; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £14."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]


Archives & Libraries

The Library at Newark will prove useful in your research.



Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Churchyard extension across from the church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.

Trevor RICKARD also has a photograph of the Churchyard extension on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.



  • The parish was in the Kneesall sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2475
1871 R.G. 10 / 3537
1891 R.G. 12 / 2710

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary (as"Our Lady").
  • There is no mention of a church or priest in the Domesday Book of 1086.
  • The church was originally built in Norman times.
  • The church tower was a 15th Century addition.
  • In 1881 the church was in a very dilapidated state.
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1893.
  • The church seats 100.
  • In the churchyard stands a very ancient sundial.
  • John SALMON has a photograph of St Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2003.
  • And Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1653.
  • The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1813-1838.
  • The names of each married couple from about 1734 are inscribed in the church belfry. Alas, many were removed when the church was restored.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Tuxford.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1836 and was rebuilt in 1894.
  • Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the new Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.
  • The Primitive Methodists also built a chapel here in 1841.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Kneesall sub-district of the Southwell Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

This village and parish are 137 miles north of London and 1 mile south of Tuxford. The parish covers 2,220 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A6075 arterial road northeast out of Mansfield and drive thrugh Ollerton. At Kirton turn right at the signs for Egmanton.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of Egmanton Hill on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014. You should drop in when they are open and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
You can see pictures of Egmanton which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Egmanton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The village held an annual feast on the Sunday closest to Old Michaelmas day (29 September).
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Old Plough Inn just off Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014. It's an 18th century building but only recently re-opened as a restaurant.


  • Egmanton Hall stood about a half mile west of the church.
  • The Manor House was occupied by a farmer, Francis GALE, in 1881.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK736688 (Lat/Lon: 53.211177, -0.899385), Egmanton which are provided by:


Military History

  • The War Memorial is a white stone cross, erected in the churchyard in March, 1920.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the churchyard War Memorial and some snowdrops on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2011.

Military Records

The Great War Bulletin for February 15th, 1915 tells us that a Memorial service was held for 18-year-old Private Frederick ROBINSON, who had served at the altar of the village church on the very day he went off in August 1914 to enlist in the Coldstream Guards. He died in France on 25 January, 1915.

For another War Memorial photograph and the list of names, see the Nottingham County Council site.

These are the four men listed on the War MemoriaI:

  1. private Jonathan Henry BARTLE, 9th Btln. Sherwood Foresters, son of Bryan and Jemima BARTLE, died 4 Oct 1917
  2. private Walter James PEACHEY, 1st Btln. Sherwood Foresters, son of Walter James and Eliza PEACHEY, died 5 July 1916
  3. private Robert PRICE, 8th Btln. Leicestershire Regt., died 11 June 1918
  4. private Fred ROBINSON, 1st Btln. Coldstream Guards, son of William and Elizabeth ROBINSON, died 25 Jan 1915

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottinghamshire and it became a Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the South Clay division of the ancient Bassetlaw Hundred (Wapentake) in the northern division of the county.
  • The citizens of this parish hold periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civic and political matters rather than have a formal Parish Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Retford petty session hearings held in West Retford.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1821.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Southwell Poor Law Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1676 140
1861 386
1871 281
1881 235
1891 231
1901 241
1911 227
1921 244
1931 244
1951 198


  • For several centuries the only school for poor children was the Sunday School held in the church.

Social Life & Customs

From the Southwell and Nottingham Church History site:

"At some point before the 12th century an apparition of the Virgin Mary appeared to a local woman in nearby Ladywood, which led to the creation of a shrine to the saint at the church in Egmanton. This shrine attracted many pilgrims from far and wide who visited the church, which thus became more than just a parish church. Many of the pilgrims scratched crosses into the stone of the south door and north aisle to mark their pilgrimage and many of these cuttings can still be seen today."

"It became the custom in Egmanton for couples who had been married in the church to give a cake to the church bell ringers, who in turn would inscribe their names in the belfry. The earliest recorded names date to 1734 and continued through the 18th and 19th centuries. Sadly, the list was removed as part of the restoration work done at the end of the 19th century."

"A tradition of the church recorded from the 19th century is the storing of a large ham at the church. This was kept ready for one of the local families, who were accustomed to bury their dead ‘in ham’ – the ham was eaten at a feast after the funeral."