White's Directory 1853
Elston, 5 miles south-south-west of Newark, is a straggling village and parish, comprised of two irregularly built streets, containing 380 inhabitants and 1,491 acres of land, valued at £1,775 17s 4d, forming two manors, distinguished by the names of Church Parish and Chapel Parish, from the latter having a small ancient chapel annexed by East Stoke. Francis Darwin Esq., Sir Robert H. Bromley Bart., John Brockton and George Fillingham Esqs. are the principal owners, the former of who, is lord of the manor. Elston Hall, a handsome and commodious mansion, rebuilt a few years ago by the late W.B. Darwin Esq., at a cost of upwards of £11,000, is now occupied by John Thorpe Esq.
The church is dedicated to All Saints, and in 1837, W.B. Darwin Esq. expended the munificent sum of £2,000 in restoring and beautifying it, and it now forms an elegant edifice consisting of nave, chancel, two side aisles, and a lofty tower surmounted by four pinnacles. In the church are no less than fourteen marble monuments to the Darwin family, and also one in brass, to the memory of the above named gentleman, who died soon after the restoration of the church. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £9 8s 9d, now £300, and is in the gift of Francis Darwin Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H. Robert Harrison B.D. The tithes were all commuted for 161 acres, 1 rood and 31 perches of land, in 1798. The Wesleyans and primitive methodists have each a chapel here. The former was built in 1815, and the latter in 1839. It also contains a lodge of Odd Fellows, and a sick club, which holds its feast on the Monday before June 24th.
A hospital here, in which four poor widows have each 1s per week and half a tom of coals annually, was rebuilt in 1834, and was founded in 1714 by Ann Darwin. The school, which is endowed with land &c worth £12 per annum, was rebuilt by the late Mr Darwin in 1812. It was founded by Laurence Pendleton in 1690, and endowed with £100 by Elizabeth Darwin in 1754. The poor have 6s yearly out of a public house, under the bequest of Mary Piper in 1788, and the interest of £200, left in 1798 and 1820, by Elizabeth and Joan Summer. They have also the Poor's Close, which in 1801 was given in exchange for several small parcels of land, left in 1715 and 1764 by the Bristow and Darwin families. It contains 3a 2r 23p, and is divided into 30 gardens, and let for £12 a year.
Elston Manor forms a separate manor, in which is a chapel of ease annexed to the vicarage of East Stoke. It is a small, ancient structure, having a fine Saxon arched doorway. Sir R.H. Bromley, Bart., is the principal owner and lord of the manor. The ecclesiastical division of this chapelry is undefinable.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]