Hide

Elton

hide
Hide

"Elton Parish is but of small extent, consisting only of 965 acres, and a small village with 79 inhabitants. It is on the Grantham Road, near the verge of the county, 4 miles east by south of Bingham.
In the Saxon times it was called Ayleton, and was afterwards of the fee of Roger de Busli, who gave it to the Priory of Blyth. At the dissolution it was granted to the family of York, from whom it passed to the Lions, Mores, Collins and Launders, and is now possessed by William Fletcher Norton Norton Esq., who resides in the manor house, a large and handsome mansion. William Fletcher Norton Norton Esq. is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £8 0s 5d, now £286, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Robert Weatherell. The church, dedicated to St Michael, is a small humble edifice, which Thoresby describes as being "dove house topped". The parish was enclosed in 1808, when land was allotted in lieu of all tithes. The feast is on Sunday after old Michaelmas Day." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 853
1861 R.G. 9 / 2484
1871 R.G. 10 / 3547
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels.
     
  • The church was restored and the tower rebuilt in 1857.
     
  • The church was restored again in 1909.
     
  • The church seats 90.
     
  • Bob DANYLEC has a photograph of Saint Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
     
  • And ALAN MURRAY-RUST has a slightly different view of Saint Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1592, but some early sections are illegible.
     
  • The church was in the East Bingham Deanery.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

This small village and parish lie near the Leicestershire border in the Vale of Belvoir. 5 miles east-south-east of Bingham and 10 miles north-west of Grantham. The parish covers almost 1,000 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A52 trunk road east out of Nottingham toward Grantham.
You can see pictures of Elton which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Elton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The village feast was on the Sunday after old Michaelmas day (October 10th).
     
  • In 1780, the parish clerk, while digging a grave in the churchyard, found over 200 silver pennies from the reign of Henry II (1154 1189).
     
  • The Norton's Arms Public House was the best place to catch up on local news.
     
  • These are the names associated with the Norton's Arms Inn in various directories:
     
Year Person
1853 John JAMES, victualler
1869 Mrs. Jane JAMES
1881 Thos. BAGULEY, & farmer
1912 William TAYLOR
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK767388 (Lat/Lon: 52.941122, -0.860118), Elton which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the north division of the ancient Bingham Wapentake in the southern division of the county.
     
  • The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal Parish Council and hold periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civic and political issues.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bingham petty session hearings held every other Thursday.
     
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1808.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Population
1801 90
1851 79
1881 76
1901 51