White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Epperston parish has a pleasant and well built village, in the vale of the Dover Beck, 7 miles south-west of Southwell. It contains 511 inhabitants and 2,343 acres of land, of which 250 acres are in woods. The common was enclosed in 1768, when 254 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes. Thomas Holdsworth Esq. is principal owner and lord of the manor, but Thomas Moore, John Towle, John Litchfield, John, Thomas and William Barnard, and Henry Sherbrooke Esquires also have estates here.
The free school was purchased in 1838 with money raised by subscription, and a grant from the National Society. About 100 children are now taught in the school. Litchfield library was founded in 1839 by John Litchfield Esq. It contains 2,250 volumes, on philosophical and miscellaneous subjects, available to all subscribers of sixpence per quarter, paid in advance. The books were kept at the shoolroom till 1843, when the worthy donor erected a neat building, and vested it, together with the library, in the following trustees, for the use of the parishioners of Epperston, viz: John Litchfield Esq., John Barnard Esq., The Rev. Thomas White, and their successors.
The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, has a tiled roof and a small spire. It contains some curious old monuments and armorial bearings of ancient families. It is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £13 1s 8d, now £309. The patrons are the trustees of Hulme scholarship, Brazen Nose College, Oxford. The Rev. John Swainson M.A. is the incumbent. In 1835 an organ, with a gallery, was erected, and the pews were repaired. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists each have a chapel in the village. The feast is held on the first Sunday after All Saints' Day. The poor have the rents of four tenements, purchased in 1765 with £50 left by Mary Leake. They also have the interest of £30 left by the Walker family.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]