White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Farndon is a well built village and parish on the Trent, 2 miles west-south-west of Newark, and contains 590 inhabitants and 1,710 acres of land, mostly freehold, a small part copyhold and leasehold. The principal proprietors are William Back Esq. and W.R. Brockton Esq. There are also several smaller owners. The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor, but owns only a small portion of the land.
The church, dedicated to St Peter, is a large and lofty edifice, with two side aisles, chancel and tower, in which are 4 bells. A good organ was put up in the church in 1851. The prebendary of Farndon in the cathedral of Lincoln, is the patron and appropriator. The vicarage has the church of Balderton annexed to it, and is valued in the King's books at £6 13s 4d, now £244. The Rev. Robert Seymour Walpole is the incumbent. Both the great and small tithes were commuted for allotments of land, at the enclosure in 1768. The vicarage house is an old thatched building, now occupied by poor people.
On the Trent side in this parish are several malt kilns, also steam and wind mills. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists each have a chapel here. The feast is on the Sunday after St Peter's Day. Ten poor children are educated from the rents of two cottages left by Mrs Draper. The poor have three benefactions, viz. a house and close let for £9 3s, left by Mrs Moore; 1a 3r of land left by the Rev. M. Hall; and £100 left in 1771 by Mr Hempsall, and now vested in the North Turnpike at 5 per cent.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]