"Gringley-on-the-Hill is a delightful village and parish, on the highest part of the road from Bawtry to Gainsborough, six miles east-south-east of the former, and the same distance west by north of the latter town. From its situation on the loftiest of the promontories which overlook the wide extent of Misson and Misterton Cars, it commands such extensive prospects, that the minsters of York, Lincoln and Beverley may be seen from it on a clear day, across the vales of the Trent and the Idle, whilst in the nearer distance, the Chesterfield Canal appears emerging from the tunnel at Drakeholes, and winding under the long ridge of hills which extends eastward to the Trent.
Near the village are several swelling mounds, which were it not for their size, might be supposed artificial from their very bases. On them, however, there have been thrown up three others in ancient times, a small one to the west of the church, and two large ones on its eastern side, one of which is called Beacon Hill. These are evidently the remains of Saxon or Danish works, and the land, which is still called The Parks, is traditionally said to have belonged to a Saxon lord. As the sites of several Roman stations in the adjacent counties may be distinctly seen from this place, it has, no doubt, been used as an exploratory camp. A great annual fair is held here on December 13th for sheep, cattle, cloth, blankets &c. A hiring for servants on November 1s, and a feast on the nearest Sunday to St Peter's Day."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]