Hide

Headon

hide
Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the East Retford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2415
1871 R.G. 10 / 3453
1891 R.G. 12 / 2640
topup

Church History

  • The church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • The church was built in the 12th century and was expanded in the 14th century.
     
  • The church was restored and reseated in 1885.
     
  • The church seats 100 people.
     
  • The church is a Grade 1 listed building by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
     
  • Richard CROFT also provides a nice interior view on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2006.
     
  • Steven RUFFLES also has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The church registers date from 1566 and are in good condition.
     
  • The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1567-1837.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here before 1871.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the East Retford sub-district of the East Retford Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

This village and parish are about 3 miles north of Tuxford and 4 miles south-east of East Retford. The parish covers 2,300 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the village is just north off of the A52 trunk road, heading east out of Nottingham.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.
     
  • Andrew HILL has a close-up photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2010.
     
  • Check the Carlberry site for Bus 56 service.
     
You can see pictures of Headon which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Headon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Mesolithic and Neolithic people left behind flint tools — a Bronze Age burial mound lies on the outskirts of the parish.

The many pieces of Roman pottery found in the fields prove that there was a settlement here in Roman times.

topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK748770 (Lat/Lon: 53.284704, -0.879497), Headon which are provided by:

topup

Military History

There is a War Memorial inside the parish church afixed to the south wall. It is a wooden board with black lettering and gold embellishments. A transcription of the inscription can be found at the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project website.

topup

Names, Geographical

The village name was often spelled as "Hedune" in old records.

The Anglos-Saxon name of “heah dun” means High Hill.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake (Hundred) in the northern division of the county.
     
  • Although officially "Headon", the parish is also known as "Headon-cum-Upton".
     
  • The local parish council is a joint body for Headon cum Upton, Grove and Stokeham Parishes.
     
  • The Bassetlaw District Council provides district governance for these citizens.
     
  • John SLATER has a photograph of the Headon cum Upton Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2016. Stop in when the hall is open and ask for a copy of the schedule of forth-coming events.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Retford petty session hearings held in West Retford.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the East Retford Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Population
1801 278
1841 269
1871 231
1881 224
1891 218
1901 196
1911 186
1921 194
topup

Schools

A school was erected here in 1899 to hold 60 students. Average attendance around 1912 was 28.