"Hickling is a large village and parish on the Grantham Canal, at the foot of the Wolds, near the Leicestershire border and the Vale of Belvoir, 12 miles south-east of Nottingham and 8 miles south by west of Bingham. In 1771, a farmer whilst ploughing near the village, found an urn containing about 200 Roman silver coins and medals, most of them of "the age of Vespasian". This discovery seems to confirm the opinion of Camden, that there has been a Roman station here. Fossils, chiefly shellfish, are often found here in the limestone. The parish is called in Doomsday Book Eeheling and Hegeling, and was partly soc to Cropwell and Granby. It contains 613 inhabitants and 2,663 acres of land, of the rateable value of £3,014 8s, which was enclosed in 1776, when 431a 0r 4p were allotted in lieu of tithes, in addition to 62a 0r 4p of ancient glebe. The principal land owners are the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, Mr Marshall, Mr Collishaw, Mr Eaton, Mr Robert Hardyard and Mr Mason, and several other freeholders, but Earl Manvers is the lord paramount.
The parish church is dedicated to St Luke, and has a fine lofty tower with four bells and a clock. A stone coffin, bearing a Runic inscription, was found some years ago under the chancel."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish had a cemetery out on Clawson Road, just east of the village.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of a close-up of the gate at Hickling Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.


  • The parish was in the Ratcliffe upon Trent sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • In November, 1883, the parish was reassigned to the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 853
1861 R.G. 9 / 2485
1871 R.G. 10 / 3548
1891 R.G. 12 / 2718

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Luke.
  • The church was built in the 14th century.
  • The chancel was rebuilt in 1845.
  • The church tower was rebuilt in 1873.
  • A clock was added to the church tower in 1890.
  • Inside the church are two ornate grave lids that date from the 10th century.
  • The church seats 260.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Luke's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Luke's Tower on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1646 and are in good condition.
  • The church was in the rural deanery No. 1 of Bingham.
  • Check the Guy Etchells website for a list of marriages in the parish from 1646 to 1812.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here. They rebuilt the original one in 1846.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Wesleyan chapel on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Ratcliffe upon Trent sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • In November, 1883, the parish was reassigned to the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.

Description & Travel

This village and parish are just east of the Vale of Belvoir. Leicestershire forms the eastern border and Kinoulton parish is to the north. The parish lies 8 miles north-west of Melton Mowbray and 12 miles south-east of Nottingham city. The parish covers 2,866 acres.

The old Grantham Canal passes through the north end of the village. There is a large turn basin next to the main road, but the canal here is unused these days, except by swans and ducks. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A606 trunk road northwest out of Melton Mobray and turn north at Nether Broughton.
  • Remember, swans and ducks have the right of way!
  • The village has its own Website to attrract and advise visitors.
You can see pictures of Hickling which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hickling has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The village holds an annual Hickling Scarecrow Festival over a weekend each September.
  • A large portion of the village lies in a Conservation area which includes 24 listed buildings.
  • In 1771, a Roman urn containing about 200 coins and medals of Vespasian's era was ploughed up in a field here. It is presumed that a Roman camp was nearby
  • The village has a natural mineral spring at the old rectory.
  • In the 1800s and early 1900s, more than half the parish was pasturage.
  • In the 1800s and 1900s, Stilton Cheese was made here.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK691289 (Lat/Lon: 52.853172, -0.975289), Hickling which are provided by:


Military History

The War Memorial in the parish church is an alabaster tablet with black lettering.

There is also a War Memorial of a white marble tablet in the Village Hall. It was unveiled in April 1921.

The Wesleyan Methodist Church had its own War Memorial which has since been relocated to St. Luke's Church. There are seven names listed on this memorial.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of Nottinghamshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the south division of the Bingham Wapentake (or Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
  • Hickling does not appear to have its own Parish Council Website, but you can see their details at the Rushcliffe Hickling Council website. They are NOT staffed to help with family history searches.
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1776.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bingham petty session hearings every other Thursday.
  • The Nottingham Archives Office holds copies of Hickley's bastardy bonds, Register of Apprentices and other parish chest material. Some of this material has been microfilmed for the LDS Family History Library. Check their catalog for full information.


 Year Population
1801 391
1841 581
1851 613
1861 642
1871 559
1881 498
1891 448
1901 426
1911 357
1921 399
1931 394


  • A National School was built here in 1838.