Hucknall Torkard is a large village and parish, consisting principally of one long street, seven miles north by west of Nottingham, and eight miles south of Mansfield. It contains 3,270 acres of land, and 2,970 inhabitants, many of whom are framework knitters and occupy small farms. The Duke of Portland is the principal owner and lord of the manor. The church is a neat structure with a tower and three bells. The vicarage is valued in the King's Books at £4 18s 1d, now at £135, and was anciently in the patronage of Newstead Priory, but the Duke of Portland is now the patron. The Rev. Curtis Jackson M.A. is the incumbent. In the chancel is a mural monument to the memory of Richard Lord Byron, dated 1679. John Curtis, gent, is remembered on a neat marble stone in the church, as the last survivor of the family who resided here upwards of 500 years; it is dated 1777. The Baptists, Wesleyan, New Connexion, the Original Methodists and the Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here, and in the parish is a Club Mill belonging to several Friendly Societies. Forge Mill, situated on the River Leen, now employed in grinding corn, is said to have been first an iron forge, and afterwards a cotton mill. Bulwell Wood Hall, an ancient farm house, was once an occasional seat of the Byron family of Newstead. In the village is a fine box tree, upwards of 400 years old, and said to be the largest in England. Here are several friendly societies and a lodge of foresters. Mr Richard White, framework knitter, and Mr Hy. Daws, farmer, natives, and still residents in this parish; the former in his 95th and the latter in his 93rd year of age, both of whom are still middling active; and Mrs Eliz. Featherstone, a native of Pentrich, Derbyshire, but resided here the last thirty years of her life, and died on the 12th January 1852, in her 98th year.
The Nottingham and Mansfield Railway passes through this parish, and has a neat station here.
Charities. John Byron Esq., in 1571, left Broomhill Closes, consisting of 23a 3r 24p, let for £20; and directed the rents to be divided as follows, viz: one third to the por, one third to the church, and one third to be employed for the benefit of the parish, in such a way as his trustees should think fit. About sixt years ago, the timber cut down on this land was sold for £440 10s 6d, now vested in £778 11s 11d three per cent. consols. In 1813, more timber was cut down and sold for £71, which was laid out in £121 8s 1d of the same stock, making the total yearly income of the charity £47. In 1596, Edward Mearinge left 26s yearly out of lands in Fenton and Sturton, to one poor man of this parish. At the enclosure, 24a 2r 16p were allotted to the poor house keepers, and now lets for about £25 per annum. The ancient poor's land was at the same time exchanged for three roods, now let for 15s yearly, which is given to poor widows.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]