Hide

Keyworth

hide
Hide

"Keyworth village and parish is situated seven miles south by east of Nottingham, and contains 667 inhabitants and 1,530 acres of land, on the north side of the Wolds. It was enclosed in 1798, when 214 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes, and 6a 4r 12p to the church, which now lets for £12 5s 8d a year. Lord Rancliffe's heirs own about 180 acres, and are lords of the manor and patrons of the rectory, but the next presentation is sold to the Rev. Thomas Dodson of Wimeswold. Here are several estates belonging to Mr Attenborow, Mr W. Flinders, Mr Hemsley, Mr Bebb and others.
The church, dedicated to St Mary Magdalen, has a curious tower, surmounted by an octagonal spire. The Rev. I.H. Hall is the incumbent, and the Rev. L.P.B. Dykes is the curate.
The poor's land, 4a 1r 12p, is let off in half rood sections to the resident poor of the parish. The interest of £10, left by an unknown donor, is paid to four poor widows at Whitsuntide. The Independents have a chapel here, built in 1768, and the Primitive Methodists erected one in 1828. An annual feast is held on Whit Monday."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Hide
topup

Bibliography

FISHER, Howard, 'Keyworth and World War One: Those who died and those who returned', Keyworth and District Local History Society, ISBN 978-0-9524602-4-4.

topup

Cemeteries

  • The municpal cemetery off Wysall Lane was opened in the 1970s.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Keyworth Burial Ground entrance on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of a Belvoir Angel gravestone on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Ratcliffe-upon-Trent sub-district of the Bingham Registration District until November, 1883.
     
  • In November, 1883 the parish was reassigned to the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2486
1871 R.G. 10 / 3549
1881 R.G. 11 / 3383
1891 R.G. 12 / 2718
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene.
     
  • The church was built in the 14th and 15th centuries.
     
  • The church was restored in 1874.
     
  • A clock was added to the church in 1893.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1653.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery #1 of Bingham.
     
  • The Congregational chapel was founded here in 1768 and was rebuilt in 1902. This building is now the United Reformed Church.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Keyworth United Reformed Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
  • The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1828 and it was still operating in 1912.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Keyworth Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
  • Geoff PICK also has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Selby Lane on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009.
     
  • The Independents built a chapel here in 1868.
     
  • The village currently also has a Baptist Church, a Catholic church and a United Reformed Church.
     
  • Jonathan WILKINS has a photograph of St. Margaret's Catholic Church on Willow Brook on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2010.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Ratcliffe-upon-Trent sub-district of the Bingham Registration District until November, 1883.
     
  • In November, 1883, the parish was reassigned to the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Keyworth is a village and a parish on a hilltop on the west bank of the River Soar about 117 miles north of London, 7 miles south-east of Nottingham, 13 miles north-west of Melton Mowbray and 6 miles north-north-east of Loughborough in Leicestershire. The parish covers 1,530 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A606 trunk road south-east out of Nottingham.
     
  • Alternatively, take the A60 trunk road north out of Loughborough. The A60 passes near Keyworth village.
     
  • Rail service came to the village shortly after 1900, but was terminated around 1967.
     
  • Richard VINCE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW also has a photograph of the Village Sign on Wysall Lane on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2019. The sign reveals that Keyworth is "twined" with Feignies, France.
     
You can see pictures of Keyworth which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Keyworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Archaeological finds have turned up Roman artifacts in the parish outskirts suggesting human inhabitation of the area as early as 400 AD.
     
  • Keyworth is first mention in the 1086 Domesday Book.
     
  • In the 1800s many workers in the village were framework knitters.
     
  • The village logo is a windmill, but the last windmill was demolished in the 1950s.
     
  • For more on the village/parish history, see the Keyworth History page.
     
  • The Plough Inn on Selby Lane is a popular spot for local conversation and news.
     
  • Geoff PICK has a photograph of The Plough on Selby Lane on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Salutation Pub on Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014.
     
  • The British Geological Survey established an office and a park on the northeast side of the village. Ashley DACE has a photograph of the Geological Educational Walk on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014. At the time, Ashley worked in the nearly BGS office.
topup

Manors

Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of The Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2021.

topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK613308 (Lat/Lon: 52.871192, -1.090748), Keyworth which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The in-church war memorials are recorded at the Southwell Churches History Project website.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial gates on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
  • A private war memorial was created in 2007, as the parish had no memorial outside the church other than the gates above. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of this private War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
  • Jonathan THACKER probably impaled himself to get this photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2021. There is now a fence right where Jonathan had to stand.
     
  • The local council has decided to provide a public war memorial on the town green once county approval has been received.
     
topup

Military Records

Private Henry MARRIOTT of the Sherwood Foresters, killed in action in 1917, is burried in the churchyard.

You can read the list of names from the War Memorial at this Nottinghamshire Council website.

There are two Commonwealth War Graves in St. Mary Magdalene churchyard:

  • Private Henry MARRIOTT, age 27, died 1 July 1917
  • Sergeant John William TERZZA, age 20, died 30 Dec. 1944

The names from the WW1 Memorial in the church are:

  1. Albert Armstrong
  2. George Gordon Bennett
  3. George William Brown
  4. Samuel Burton
  5. Albert Derrick
  6. Clifford Derrick
  7. Claude Owen Disney
  8. Albert Disney
  9. Arnold Disney
  10. Arthur William Peet Disney
  11. John Dodson
  12. Ivor Henson
  13. Frederick Hopkinson
  14. George Lacey
  15. William Lambert
  16. James Henry Littlewood
  17. Henry Marriott
  18. Harry Murde
  19. Isaac Orme
  20. Edward Arthur Parr
  21. Henry William Richards
  22. Thomas Smith
  23. Thomas Street
  24. James Tyler
  25. John Westerdale
  26. Albert Wilson
  27. Charles Albert Wright

The names from the WW2 Memorial inside the church are:

  1. ASHTON, D. G., RAF
  2. BROOKER, D. N. B., RAF
  3. TERZZA, John William, RAF
  4. WRIGHT, G. W., RAF
  5. HANLEY, A., Munitions
  6. BILLS, C. E., Leics Regt.
  7. HURT, J. M, MM, Leics Regt.
  8. BRAIN, G. W., Royal Artillery
  9. GUNN, J. B., 1st Royal Hamps.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the north division of the ancient Rushcliffe Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • Chris ? has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2014. Stop in when they are open and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
  • You may contact the local Keyworth Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1798 by an Act of Parliament.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

Keyworth was developed in the 1950s through 1970s period and the village is now a commuter town for workers in Nottingham city.

A boundary change in 1984 brought a large part of Normanton into Keyworth parish and increased its population by 2,000 overnight.

 Year Population
1801 325
1811 401
1821 454
1831 552
1841 576
1851 667
1871 794
1881 893
1891 771
1901 789
1911 787
1921 836
topup

Schools

  • A Church of England School was built here in 1862 and was leter designated a National School. This school building is now the Parish Hall.
     
  • A non-denomonational Board School was built here in 1872. This school was demolished in 1985.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the newer school on Windmill Lane on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
topup

Societies

Keyworth & District Local History Society
Keyworth County Council Library
Church Drive
Keyworth
Nottingham
NG12 5FF