"Kilvington, 7½ miles south of Newark, is a hamlet and parish comprised in three farms, with only 27 inhabitants, and 480 acres of land, of which 142 were allotted for the tithes at the enclosure in 1750. The duke of Portland is the principal owner and lord of the manor. The Rev. John Gorden is the incumbent of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £6 12s 1d, and was consolidated with the Staunton rectory in 1826, when the church was so dilapidated, and the chancel a roofless ruin, that seat room was provided for the inhabitants in the neighbouring church at Staunton.
The church was rebuilt in 1852, on the old site, at the sole expense of the present owner. The farmers are Thomas Allen, grazier, William Marshall and William Wilson."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • The parish was in the Balderton sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 862
1851 H.O. 107 / 2138
1861 R.G. 9 / 2481
1871 R.G. 10 / 3544
1891 R.G. 12 / 2715

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • The date of construction is not reported.
  • The church was in poor condition by 1850 and was rebuilt in 1852 on the old site.
  • The church was restored in 1862.
  • Bob DANYLEC has a photograph of Saint Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the east end of Saint Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
  • Services are held at the church about once a month.
  • John MELLORS tells us that the parish register reports:
"The Revd John STAUNTON LLD was inducted in to the Rectory of Kilvington by the Revd J MOUNSEY curate of Staunton on 12 Jun 1813 and read in on Sunday 27 June" "Instituted by Dr WYLDE of Nottingham 7 Jun 1813" "The Revd David HOLT rector of Kilvington died 12 May 1913"

Church Records

  • There is no mention of a church here in the 1086 Domesday Book.
  • The church was probably first constructed in the 12th century, but there is no direct evidence of a date. We know that the church existed in 1190 when an incumbent was named.
  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1541.
  • There were only four baptisms recorded from 1780 through 1800.
  • The church was in the rural deanery No. 2 of Newark.
  • The London Family History Centre has the Bishop's Transcripts from 1611 to 1826. These are also in the Nottinghamshire Archives Office.
  • The National Burial Index has 145 burials at Kilvington from 1727 to 1906.
  • Phillimore's lists the marriages at Kilvington from 1538 to 1812.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Balderton sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Kilvington is a very small village and a parish on the south-eastern border of the county adjoining Leicestershire. The parish is 7 miles south of Newark-on-Trent, 7 miles north-east of Bingham and due east of Nottingham city. The parish covers 477 acres and includes the hamlet of Alverton, 1.5 miles south of Hallam village.

If you are planning a visit:

  • There are lagoons in the flatlands just west of Kilvington village.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the lagoons on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
  • By automobile, take the A52 trunk road east out of Nottingham and pass thru Bingham. At Elton, turn left (north) and at Orston bear to the right and go through Alverton to get to Kilvington village.
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of The Alverton village sign on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012. It appears that the village could use your artistic and intuitive skills to produce a more attractive sign.
You can see pictures of Kilvington which are provided by:





John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72*quot;:

" KILVINGTON, a parish in Newark district, Notts; on the river Devon, at the boundary with Lincoln, 2¼ miles N by W of Bottesford r. station, and 7 S of Newark. It includes the hamlet of Alverton; and its posttown is Elton, under Nottingham. Acres, 900. Real property, £639. Pop., 77. Houses, 15. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Staunton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £245. Patron, John Lambert, Esq. The church is ancient, and was recently restored."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Kilvington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



The Black Death visited Kilvington in 1349. And there were floods in 1351.



  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK800429 (Lat/Lon: 52.977488, -0.810013), Kilvington which are provided by:


Military History

  • The Great War Bulletin for November 16th, 1914 tells us that the following man was selected as Special Constable for Kilvngton for the duration of the war: Alfred DURRANT, gamekeepes.
  • The Great War Bulletin for November 16th, 1914 tells us that the following man was selected as Special Constable for Alverton for the duration of the war: William BURTON, farmer.
  • There is no War Memorial recorded in the parish.

Names, Geographical

  • The name Kilvington is from the Old English Cylfa+inga+tun, or "estate of Cylfa". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Chelvinctune.
    [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county but it became a modern Civil Parish in 1866.
  • The parish was in the southern division of the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred).
  • Alverton became its own Civil Parish in December, 1866.
  • The citizens of Kilvington and Alverton have decided not to have a formal Parish Council, but instead hold periodic Parish Meetings. You can contact them concerning civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist you with family history searches.
  • For today's district governance, contact the Newark and Sherwood District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Newark petty session hearings every other Wednesday.
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1750.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union.
  • The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, has the Parish Chest records for 1782-1862 on microfilm.


 Year Kilvington Alverton
1801 included in Staunton
1811 44 -
1831 45 -
1841 56 -
1851 27 25
1861 37 40
1871 37 7
1881 24 17
1891 49 32
1901 30 23
1911 28 33


  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of The Old School at Alverton on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
  • That school has been converted into a residence.