White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Kirklington is a rural village and parish, on the north side of the little River Greet, in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, three miles north-west by north of Southwell. It comprises 276 inhabitants and 2,146 acres of land, consisting chiefly of a strong, clayey soil, with a portion of sand near the forest, and is of the rateable value of £2,020. Major-General John Whetham is lord of the manor, and owner of all the land, except Belle Eau Park, 1½ miles north-west of the village, containing 327 acres, which belongs to Earl Manvers. This ancient farm house in the park was formerly surrounded by a double moat, the remains of which are still visible.
Kirklington Hall, the beautiful seat of Major-General John Whetham, is situated a little north of the village, on the western declivity of a gentle eminence. It is delightfully embosomed in woods and thriving plantations, and bounded in the distance by fine eminences, which succeed each other in pleasing order. The pleasure grounds are tastefully ornamented with shrubs and evergreens, and contain a spacious lake covering upwards of seven acres, which is fed by a murmering waterfall, formed by a collection of springs and small streams which unite on the elevated ground a little above it. Major-General John Whetham succeeded to the estate of the late Admiral F. Southeron in 1839, who had resided at the hall upwards of 30 years, and represented the county of Nottingham in Parliament for 17 years.
The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St Swithen, and consists of a nave, chancel and tower. In the belfry is a table of benefactions, which we apprehend were given towards building the tower, and amongst the donors we find the King's Majestie £100. The living is a perpetual curacy valued in the King's books at £6 13s 4d, now £40, and is in the patronage of the Chapter of Southwell, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Coates Cane. The Major-General is lessee and impropriator of the great tithe under the Chapter of Southwell collegiate church, the youngest vicar of which always enjoys the vicarage of this parish, and the trustees of the late Mrs Harvey are lessees of the tithe of lamb and wool. A handsome school, with a house for the teacher, was built in 1840, and is entirely supported by Major-General Whetham. The poor receive the interest of £30, left by Winifred Arthur in 1780.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]