"Kirton is a very pleasant little village and parish, situate at the foot of a steep and well wooded declivity, 3 miles E. by N.E. of Ollerton. Its parish contains only 195 inhabitants, and 965 acres of land, of the rateable value of £1,092. Sir Henry Fitz Herbert, Bart., is tbe principal proprietor, but the Earl of Scarborough is lord of the manor, owner of about 50 acres, aud holds a court in the village at Michaelmas. There are also a few small freeholders. An excellent spring of water rises out of the hills at the east end of the village, which formerly turned a water mill, which stood in the parish.
The Church is an ancient fabric, dedicated to the Holy Trinity; it has a chancel, north aisle, and lofty tower with one bell, and the north aisle was repewed, and other reparations took place a few years ago, at the expense of the late H. G. Knight, Esq. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at &7. 14s. 9&fract;12d, now at £257., and is endowed with 50 acres of old glebe, and about 131 acres allotted at the enclosure in 1822, in lieu of all the tithes. The Duke of Newcastle is the patron, and the Rev. Cornelius Thompson, B.A.: is the incumbent, who resides at a handsome rectory house, built in 1822, at the east end of the village. In 1843; some sacrilegious thieves broke into the church, and carried off the communion plate and surplice; and in about a fortnight after this, a second visit was paid to the sacred edifice, and one of the bells, which had been broken, was taken by these high mettled thieves. The Wesleyans have a neat chapel, built in 1841. A daily school is about to be established. The feast is held on the Sunday after Whitsuntide."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]