"Lambley parish, seven miles north-east of Nottingham, has a large irregularly built village, situated at the head of a steep valley, sheltered by an amphitheatre of hills. The parish has 951 inhabitants and 2,170 acres of fertile land, the rateable value of which is £2,673 8s. About 600 acres of land were enclosed in 1793, previous to which other enclosures had taken place. Lambley House is a handsome mansion, delightfully situated on a gentle and well-wooded eminence, one mile north-west of the village, and is the seat and property of Samuel Matthews Esq., who purchased this estate with the manorial rights in 1843, from Lewin Chomley Esq. The other principal owners are Earl Manvers, Mr William Taylor, Mr John Godber and others, besides an estate belonging to a hospital in Nottingham. Many of the inhabitants find employment in the hosiery trade, there being upwards of 400 frames in the village.
The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a small ancient structure with a low tower. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £10 16s 3d, and has 90a 2r 11p of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £580. The Rev. H.E.C. Cobden M.A. is the incumbent, and the eldest son of the late Rev. A.D. Flamstead is the patron."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



  • "John from Notts" has a photograph of Lambley cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2009. The cemetery is just south of Park Lane on the eastern end of the village.


  • The parish was in the Arnold sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 866
1851 H.O. 107 / 2128
1861 R.G. 9 / 2444
1871 R.G. 10 / 3494
1891 R.G. 12 / 2677

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
  • The church was originally built in the 11th century, and rebuilt in 1470.
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of Holy Trinity Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
  • Chris MORGAN has a photograph of the Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish registers date from 1560, but have a gap for 1640-1754.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Nottingham.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here in 1849. IT has since been converted to a residence.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Lambley Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Arnold sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Lambley is 138 miles norh of London, only 6 miles north-east from the City of Nottingham and only 2 miles from Arnold Town. The isolation of the village is mainly due to its location which is in the bottom of a steep hill in a natural basin, which is horse shoe in shape. The parish covers 2,170 acres. The Lambley Dumble is a stream running through the village.

Much of the village is a Conservation Trust Area. If you are planning a visit:

You can see pictures of Lambley which are provided by:






Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Lambley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • In the 1800s many of the inhabitants of Lambley were frame-work knitters.
  • Graham HOGG has a photograph of the Woodlark Inn on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Robin Hood Inn on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008. The bus from Nottingham stops here.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK632453 (Lat/Lon: 53.0013, -1.059705), Lambley which are provided by:


Military History

The war memorial is mounted in the parish church and is an oak board inscribed with the names of the fallen from the First and Second World Wars. 11 First World War and 6 Second World War names are listed.


Military Records

There are the names listed on the War MemoriaI in the church:

  1. John Arthur Randall ARCHER
  2. Samuel BURTON
  3. Walter CROWSON
  4. Arthur HUCKNALL
  5. Frank MOULT
  6. Richard PLUMB
  7. William ROGERSON
  8. John SPICER
  9. Charles Arthur STAPLETON
  10. Ernest WARD
  11. Harold WOLFE

Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the southern division of the ancient Thurgarton Hundred in the Southern division of the county.
  • You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
  • In 1974, the parish joined the new Gedling Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.


Year Inhabitants
1801 467
1821 690
1831 824
1851 951
1861 836
1881 803
1901 770


  • A National School for both sexes was built here before 1881 to hold 145 children.