Hide

Langar

hide
Hide

"Langar-cum-Barnston Parish lies betwixt the Smite rivulet and the Leicestershire border, and includes the neighbouring villages and lordships of Langar and Barnston, which form but one manor and township, containing 315 inhabitants and 3,820 acres of strong fertile land, partly on red marl, but principally upon the lias limestone. The arable land has been drained about 18 inches deep. It is a freehold and tithe-free estate, all of which belongs to John Wright Esq., except three farms in Barnston, and 400 acres allotted to the rector at the enclosure, in lieu of tithes. Langar is a small but pleasant and well-built village, and has been consideranly improved by the present lord of the manor. It lies 4 miles south by east of Bingham. Thoroton, in 1677, says Langar Hall, and nearly the whole of the parish, have lately become the estate of Mr Howe, who made a convenient park of the closes around the mansion, and stocked it well with deer. The hall was subsequently nearly all rebuilt, and ornamented with a handsome portico and pediment, with six lofty Ionic pillars the height of the house, which is in three storeys, but is now unoccupied, and a great deal of it has been taken down since it was puchased by the present lord of the manor, John Wright Esq., who bought it in 1818 of the late Lord Howe, and has since divided the Park, and cut down all its fine timber." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of St. Andrew's Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2017.

And Andrew also has a sunlit photograph of the Graveyard at St Andrew's on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2017.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 853
1861 R.G. 9 / 2484
1871 R.G. 10 / 3547
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • The church was built prior to 1517.
     
  • Kate JEWLL has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2005.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Church Nave on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1595 and is in good condition.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Bingham No. 1.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Langar is a small village and a parish near the border with Leicestershire. It lies 120 miles north of London, 4 miles southeast of Bingham and 12 miles southeast from the city of Nottingham. The parish covers 3,870 acres and includes the village of Barnston.

The village of Langar stands at the south end of the "Vale of Belvoir". The village of Barnston(e) stands only 3/4 mile east of Langar along the road to Elton. Barnston(e) offers some great views over the Vale of Belvoir. The Smite rivulet runs past the northern border of both villages. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A52 east out of Nottingham to Bingham, At Bingham, turn south and drive 4 miles until you reach Langar.
     
  • Tony BACON has a photograph of the utilitarian Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2009.
     
  • The village of Barnston(e) lies north-east of Langar. You will want to turn left just before Langar to reach Barnston(e).
     
You can see pictures of Langar which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Genealogy

Samuel BUTLER, the 19th-century novelist, was born here on 4 December 1835 son to the Rev. Thomas BUTLER and his wife Fanny. He was christened in the local parish church on 17 Dec 1835. He emigrated in September 1859, on the ship Roman Emperor to New Zealand, and returned to England in 1864.

Richard HOWE,, Earl (1726–1799), British admiral, died on the 5th of August 1799, and was buried in his family vault at Langar.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Langar has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • A village feast is held in Langar on the second Sunday after Whit-Sunday.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Unicorns Head pub. on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
     
  • For more on the history of Langar and Barnston(e), see A History of Langar for Young People.
     
topup

Manors

  • Kate JEWLL has a photograph of the former Langar Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2005.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of Langar House on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK724345 (Lat/Lon: 52.903071, -0.925049), Langar which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • RAF Langer opened in 1942 just south of the village and was originaly used by Bomber Command, It later served primarily as a troop carrier transport airfield. It served units from the RAF and the USAAF.
     
  • Starting in 1952 the Royal Canadian Air Force used the field until 1963.
     
  • After 1963, the field was partly used by private industry and partly as a British Parachute School.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the Parachute School in action on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2005.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Langar Airfield War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.
     
  • The parish War Memorial is just inside St. Andrew's churchyard's main gate, to the right. It is almost 14 feet tall and was dedicated in 1919.
     
  • Inside the church, on two of the pillars, are the Rolls of Honour for those who served in both World Wars.
     
  • There is a seat in the churchyard dedicated to the men of RAF squadron 207 who died in World War II. There is also a Book of Remembrance for the squadron inside the church
     .
topup

Military Records

Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the war memorial inscription 1914 to 1918 on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2017.

  1. A. BURROWS
  2. C. FIDDIES
  3. T. W. GARRETT
  4. S. GOODMAN
  5. W. GOODMAN
  6. G. E. IZZETT
  7. F. H. PATRICK
  8. B. REEVE
  9. J. ROWORTH
  10. J. SHEPHERD
  11. H. SMITH
  12. J. E. SPENCER
  13. W. SPENCER
  14. A. B. TURNER
  15. F. WRIGHT
  16. F. L. STARBUCK

Mr. STARBUCK's name appears to be a later addition to this monument plaque.

Andrew TATLOW also has a photograph of the war memorial inscription for 1939 to 1945 on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2017.

  1. J. S. BAXTER
  2. C. D. HUDSON
  3. J. L. STARBUCK
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of Nottinghamshire and became a Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • Barnston(e) was and is a chapelry in this parish.
     
  • The parish was in the Bingham Wapentake (or Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • You may contact the local Langar cum Barnstone Parish Council regarding civic or politcal issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bingham petty session hearings every other Thursday.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 266
1851 316
1861 320
1871 356
1881 425
1891 401
1901 485
1911 453
topup

Schools

  • A National School was built at Langar in 1842.
     
  • Rob HOWL has a photograph of the School bell and datestone on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.