"Linby is a small village and parish seven and a half miles south of Mansfield, containing 310 inhabitants, and 1,461 acres of land, principally belonging to Andrew Montagu Esq., who is also lord of the manor. Before the Conquest it had three manors, which by the victorious Conqueror were given to William Peverel, whose son William gave the "town and whatever it hath in it" to the Priory of Lenton. The estate was bequeathed by its late proprietor, the Right Hon. Frederick Montagu, in 1800, to Fountayne Wilson Esq. and his heirs, on condition that they use the surname of Montagu, which he himself refused to comply with, but conferred it upon his son, together with the said estate. The present landlord having discharged all the framework knitters from the parish, has caused a decrease in the population from 515 to 310 souls. Two ancient crosses stand at the north and south ends of the village, having a maypole at the south.

The church is a small structure, dedicated to St Michael, with a tower and four bells. It contains some ancient monuments of the Strelley and Chaworth families. The rectory, valued in the King's books at £4 9s 9½d, now £220, is in the gift of Andrew Montagu Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Hurt M.A., who resides at the rectory, a neat mansion near the church, with 21a 2r 10p of ancient glebe; and in 1843 the tithe was commuted for £280. A feast is held on the Sunday after Old Michaelmas Day, or on that day if it falls on a Sunday. The Nottingham and Mansfield Railway passes through the parish and has a neat station here."

[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]


Archives & Libraries

Linby has a tiny Heritage Centre which was restored and opened in 2003.

David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Linby Heritage Centre on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2012.



Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of The churchyard, Linby on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2019.



  • The parish was in the Hucknall Torkard sub-district of the Basford Registration District until 1901.
  • In 1901 the parish was reassigned to the Arnold sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 858
1851 H.O. 107 / 2128
1861 R.G. 9 / 2444
1871 R.G. 10 / 3494
1891 R.G. 12 / 2677

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael.
  • The church construction date is thought to be in the 13th century.
  • The churchyard was enlarged in 1898.
  • The church was restored in 1898 and again in 1914.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1640 and is in very good condition.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Bulwell.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Hucknall Torkard sub-district of the Basford Registration District until 1901.
  • In 1901 the parish was reassigned to the Arnold sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Linby is a village and a parish 134 miles north of London, 9.5 miles north of Nottingham and 7.5 miles south of Mansfield. The River Leen flows through the parish. The parish covers 963 acres, but used to be far larger.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A611 north out of Nottingham past Hucknall. Linby will be just to the right.
  • There were three railways that ran through Linby historically, but passenger service ceased in 1916. Freight rail service ceased in 1968. There appears to be no current passenger service to Linby.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of one ofthe two village crosses on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014.
You can see pictures of Linby which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Linby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Limestone was quarried here.
  • Around 1850, the lord of the manor discharged all of the framework knitters in the parish, dropping the population from 515 down to 310 souls.
  • The village feast day is on the Sunday nearest to Old Michaelmas day.
  • Local legend tells us that the pancake was invented here by the women of the village to celebrate the defeat of the Danes who had enslaved them.
  • Linby won the "Best Kept Village in Nottinghamshire" award in 1997.
  • David LALLY has a photograph of the Linby Colliery memorial plaque on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK534510 (Lat/Lon: 53.053598, -1.204776), Linby which are provided by:


Military History

  • The War Memorial is a plaque on the south wall of the south aisle of the parish church.
  • Rachel FARRAND has a photograph of the War Memorial plaque in St. Michael's Church.
  • There is an additional War Memorial which is a brass plaque, on the south side of the chancel archway, facing the nave.
  • There is a World War II memorial on the window recess at the south-east end of the south aisle chapel.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • This parish was in the northern division of the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake in the northern division of the county.
  • In April, 1935, this parish was reduced by 527 acres which were granted to Hucknall Torkard Civil Parish.
  • You may contact the local Linby Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to provide family history searches for you.
  • In 1974, the parish joined the new Gedling Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 515
1811 434
1821 439
1831 352
1841 271
1851 310
1861 257
1871 257
1881 320
1891 310
1901 319
1911 273


  • A Parochial School for both sexes was built here before 1869.