White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Lowdham, Caythorpe and Gunthorpe
Lowdham parish includes the three townships of Lowdham, Caythorpe and Gunthorpe, containing together 1,578 inhabitants and 2,901 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1765, when 268 acres were allotted to the Duke of Kingston and 93 to the vicar, in lieu of tithes.
Lowdham is a pleasant village, situated near the Dover Beck, six miles south-south-west of Southwell. It was of the fee of Roger de Busil, and afterwards possessed by the Lowdhams, who took their name from it, one of who was high sheriff of the county. Peter Broughton Esq. is the principal owner and lord of the manor. Charles Story Esq., Mr Samuel Abbott and Earl Manvers have estates here, and the latter is the impropriator and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £4 18s 4d, now £276, and is enjoyed by the Rev. John Henry Browne B.A., who resides at the vicarage house, a neat mansion at the north end of the village. The tithes of the woodland were commuted in 1838, when £26 9s 4d was apportioned to Earl Manvers, and £14 6s 4d to the vicar.
The church is a neat structure, with a spire and five bells, and has some ancient monuments of the Lowdhams and Broughtons. The National School was built in 1843, and will accommodate 100 children. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists each have a chapel here. The poor have 50s yearly from Agnes Crooss's charity, and the interest of several benefactions, amounting to £22. The Midland Company's railway passes through this parish, and has a neat station on the Nottingham and Lincoln Branch.
Caythorpe is a small village and township, one mile south-east of Lowdham, containing 315 inhabitants and about 391 acres of land. Peter Broughton Esq. is the lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late Robert Faulkes Esq. are the principal owners. There are also several smaller owners. There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, and the Independents occupy a large room. The poor have an annuity of 12s left by John Smith, and another of 6s left by Richard Whitehead.
Gunthorpe village and township comprises 334 inhabitants and 784 acres of land. It is situated nine miles east-north-east of Nottingham, and has a ferry across the Trent, opposite East Bridgford. Peter Broughton Esq. is lord of the manor, but Francis Wright Esq. is the principal owner. Many of the farmers are also small freeholders. Gunthorpe Lodge, a large house at the west end of the village, which was partly rebuilt in 1815, is the property of Francis Wright Esq., and occupied by Mr Thomas Marriott. It had anciently a chapel, for we find, in 1088, Roger de Busil gave to the monastery of Blythe, two parts of the tithes of the land belonging to the Hall in Gunthorpe, and all small tithes. In Throsby's time the chapel was converted into a blacksmith's shop. In 1850 a neat chapel of ease was erected of stone by subscription. peter Broughton Esq. gave the land, and Earl Manvers gave £200. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village. The feast is on the second Sunday in October.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]