Mansfield, market town and par., Notts, on river Maun, 16 miles N. of Nottingham and 137 miles NW. of London by rail, 7252 ac., pop. 13,653; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday, From coins and other relics found here, Mansfield is supposed to have been a Roman station. It is surrounded by the vestiges of Sherwood Forest. Silk and cotton mills, iron foundries, engine works, brick and tile works, and breweries, &etc., give employment to the inhabitants. The cattle markets and corn markets are important.
[John BARTHOLOMEW's "Gazetteer of the British Isles," 1887]
The Mansfield Library, which started life as the Free Public Library and Reading Room, formerly in Queen street, was transferred in May, 1905, to new premises in Leeming street, is now at the Four Seasons Center in West Gate.
There are two car parks in the vicinity of Mansfield Central Library - Four Seasons and Clumber Street. Mansfield Central Library has two bicycle parking bays outside. The Library is typically open seven days per week, is wheelchair friendly and has a Family History and a Local History section.
Don't forget the Mansfield Museum on Leeming Street as a resource.
- The Cemetery on Nottingham Road was 20 acres when it opened in 1857. It had two mortuary chapels. It was enlarged by 10 acres in 1898.
- The main cemetery and adjacent crematorium are situated on a 10-acre site accessed from Derby Road, on the southern edge of town. Part of the cemetery, about 20 acres, appears to belong to the district council.
- Check out the list of Graves cleared from St Peters churchyard, Mansfield.
- Monumental inscriptions for Mansfield churchyard transcribed by W. HARROD in 1800.
- The parish was in the Mansfield sub-district of the Mansfield Registration District.
- There was a census of Mansfield in 1831. To the web page author's knowledge this will only list the head of household and a table of others by sex and age brackets. Other household members are not listed by name.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 859|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2124|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2428 & 2429|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3471 thru 3473|
|1881||R.G. 11 / 3317|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2654 & 2655|
- There is an Anglican parish church dedicated to Saint Peter on Church Street
- Chris MORGAN has a photograph of St. Peter and St. Paul's Parish Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014.
- Another Anglican church is dedicated to Saint John and is on St. John's Street, erected in 1855.
- Saint John's ecclesiastical parish was formed on 6 January, 1857.
- Peter KOCHUT has a photograph of St. John's Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2003.
- Saint Mark's ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1889. The church was erected in 1897 on Nottingham Road.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St Mark's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
- The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1813-1837.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Mansfield.
- The Catholic church is dedicated to Saint Philip Neri and is in Ratcliffe gate.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of St Philip Neri on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
- The Congregationalists founded a chapel here in 1790 and built a new chapel in West gate in 1878.
- The Baptist chapel was built in 1912.
- The Methodists built a church on Nottingham Road in 1913. At last report, in 2019, the Church was unoccupied. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of this Former Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2019.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of Bethel Methodist Church (formerly the Primitive Methodist chapel) on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013. The chapel was built in 1896.
- The parish was in the Mansfield sub-district of the Mansfield Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
Mansfield is a parish and former Market Town situated on the River Maun only 16 miles north of Nottingham city and 137 miles north of London. The town is surrounded by vestiges of Sherwood Forest. King's Mill is an area between Mansfield and Sutton-in-Ashfield which the Ashfield District Council is developing. There is a new hospital in this area and the district council has future plans for development.
If you are planning a visit:
- The town originally was built of five principal streets that radiated out from a central market place.
- Mansfield had two railway stations: Mansfield Town, the former Midland station on Station Road; and Mansfield Central, the former Mansfield Railway station in Great Central Road, near Ratcliffe Gate. Central station lost its scheduled passenger services at the beginning of 1956 and Town station closed to passengers in 1964, leaving Mansfield without passenger trains until the Robin Hood line restored them in 1995.
- The railways still provide passenger service on the "Robin Hood Line" between Nottingham and Worksop.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the current Passenger Station on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2019.
- John SUTTON has a photograph of the Mansfield Bus Station on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2017.
From: "A Topographical Dictionary of England", by Samuel LEWIS, 7th Edition, 1848, Vol 3, pp.249-50:
"MANSFIELD (St Peter), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the northern division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 14 miles north-by-west from Nottingham, and 138 north-north-west from London; containing, with the hamlet of Pleasley-hill, 9,788 inhabitants [in 1848]. The name of this place, anciently written "Maunsfield", is derived from its situation on the small river Mann or Maun, which rises about three miles westward. The town is of great antiquity : it is supposed to have been of British or Roman origin; and during the heptarchy was a contemporary residence of the Mercian kings, for the convenience of hunting in the Royal Forest of Sherwood. In the reigns of Edward the Confessor, William the Conqueror, and William Rufus, it was a royal demesne, and the place so continued till the time of Elizabeth ....
it was ultimately granted away by letters-patent, in the 44th of Elizabeth. Until the year 1715, the courts for the Forest of Sherwood, a district celebrated in ballad story as the scene of the exploits of the renowned archer, Robin HOOD, and his band of freebooters, were held at Mansfield."
John BARTHOLOMEW's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887 describes Mansfield:
"Mansfield, market town and par., Notts, on river Maun, 16 miles N. of Nottingham and 137 miles NW. of London by rail, 7252 ac., pop. 13,653; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday, From coins and other relics found here, Mansfield is supposed to have been a Roman station. It is surrounded by the vestiges of Sherwood Forest. Silk and cotton mills, iron foundries, engine works, brick and tile works, and breweries, &c., give employment to the inhabitants. The cattle markets and corn markets are important. "
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mansfield to another place.
From The Observer, 10 October 1802:
"A labourer at Mansfield, named GODFREE, last week fell from his chair while at dinner, and soon after expired. - The Coroner's verdict was, died by excess of eating and drinking."
James COLLINSON (9 May 1825 – 24 January 1881) was a Victorian painter who was a member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood from 1848 to 1850. He was born in Mansfield.
Watson FOTHERGILL (12 July 1841 – 6 March 1928) was a British architect who designed over 100 unique buildings in Nottingham. He, too, was born in Mansfield. He married Anne HAGE in 1867 at St. John's Church, Mansfield.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mansfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- In 1329 Queen Isabella, mother of Edward III, was the Lady of the Manor of Mansfield.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of The Butter Cross in the old market place on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.
- Dr. Benjamin DRAWATER and his family moved to Mansfield in 1801, where he practiced medicine for 11 years. Dr. DRAWATER had served as ship's surgeon on some of Captain COOK's voyages. He died in 1815.
- The Statute Fair for the hiring of servants was held on the first Friday on November.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of The Byron (pub) on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2016.
- Ian S. has a photograph of The Market Inn on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
- David BEVIS also has a photograph of the Crown & Anchor on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
- Peter WISE has a photograph of the Entrance to Mansfield Brewery (former) on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009. The original brewery site closed in 2001 and the current site is now only a distribution depot. The 'Mansfield' now being owned by Marstons PLC.
- A violent episode in the UK miners' strike (1984–1985) occurred in Mansfield on May Day 1984.
In 1516, during the reign of King Henry VIII, an act of parliament settled the Manor to Thomas, Duke of Norfolk. The Manor was then passed to the Dukes of Newcastle and Portland.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK535613 (Lat/Lon: 53.146165, -1.201573), Mansfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Mansfield General Hospital was established in 1881 in a cottage at the Lawn. In 1885 the town was looking for a new site for the Hospital.
David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the former Mansfield Community Hospital on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
The Accident Hospital, in West Hill drive, was erected in 1887 as a Jubilee Memorial. It was enlarged in 1887 and again in 1907. This hospital closed in 1992.
A Forest Fever Hospital was was raised in 1894 and a Smallpox Hospital in 1888 on Brick Kiln Lane. These institutions were not required to archive patient records, but administrative and accounting records were archived. You should check with the Mansfield Library to see what they may have.
There is a photograph of King's Mill Hospital on Wikipedia.
In 1912, Miss Eleanor HORSEFALL was the matron at the Forest Fever Hospital located on Southwell Road. Miss Mary BAYLDON was the matron at the Mansfield District Hospital. Miss E. MARPLE was the matron at the Smallpox Hospital.
Colonel LITCHFIELD, after distinguishing himself in the Duke of Kingston's Light Horse during the rebellion of 1745, returned afterwards to retire at Mansfield, where he built, in 1762, a large house called Ratcliffe-Gate.
In 1881, D company of the 2nd Battalion, Notts Rifle Volunteers, met at the Armoury on Lime Tree Place. G. H. BRANSTON, captain; Geo. Whitfield SPARKE, surgeon; Rev. Canon James Tufton BARTLET, M. A., chaplain; Richard WATKIN, serjeant-instructor.
In 1912, Mansfield had two units of the Territorial Force:
- B Squadron of the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers), on Dame Flogan Street.
- D Company of the 8th Battalion, Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regt. (Sherwood Foresters), on Meeting House Lane.
The Americans opened a wartime hospital at King's Hill in 1942 to care for both American servicemen and German prisoners of war.
There is a War Memorial at Carr Bank Park that includes names the of men killed in the Korean war as well as relatives of L/Sgt David GREENHALGH (of Ilkeston, Derbyshire) and Pte Damian WRIGHT (from Mansfield), who both died in Afghanistan.
There are 100 Commonwealth War Graves at the Mansfield (Nottingham Road) Cemetery.
There are 7 Commonwealth War Graves at the Mansfield (Pleasley Road) Cemetery.
- Mansfield - those who have died on active service compiled by Alan ROWLAND.
- "The Mindset of a Patriot" by Earl Austin MASON, provides accounts of the Mansfield men who lost their lives in the 20th century, including details of their lives before their military service.
Mansfield was anciently called "Maunsfield,” and may have acquired that name from the river Maun, which rises near Annesley, and flows round the south and east sides of the town. However, the name given in the 1086 Domesday Book is "Mamesfield".
There are three local newspapers you should be aware of:
- Mansfield Advertiser 1871-1952
- Mansfield Chronicle 1895-1952
- Mansfield Reporter 1858-1956
In 1881 the Mansfield Reporter was published on Fridays by TOMLINSON & SLANEY. The Mansfield & North Notts Advertiser was also only published on Fridays by John LINNEY.
These are held on microfilm at Mansfield library and the County library on Angel Row in Nottingham. [Thank you, David MILLIOT].
The local newspapers currently published are the Chad (formerly Chronicle Advertiser) and Mansfield and Ashfield News Journal, a community newspaper.
- Check our newspapers page for information on local newspapers.
Mansfield Magazine is read by citizens who are a part of Mansfield and the surrounding community.
- This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the northern division of the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake.
- In June, 1891, the town was incorporated as a borough divided into three wards; North, South and East.
- On 1 April, 1935, this parish was reduced by 60 acres to enlarge Sutton in Ashfield Civil Parish.
- District governance is provided by the Mansfield District Council.
- In 2009 Mansfield made a bid for city status, appending redevelopment plans for retail, residential and leisure facilities with road improvements gradually being made; still pending as of August 2020.
- Mansfield has a directly elected mayor, as one of only 16 places with one in the United Kingdom.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Mansfield petty session hearings held at the Police Court every Wednesday at 11AM.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became the center of the Mansfield Poor Law Union.
- The remaining Common Lands were enclosed in 1852-53 under the General Enclosure Act.
- The town had 12 almshouses on the Nottingham Road, founded in 1691 and rebuilt in 1855. Six additional almshouses were built in Portland Street in 1844.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Heath's Almshouses, rebuilt in 1855 on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2019.
- In 1908, Mr. GREENWOOD left six almshouses in Chaucer Street for the aged and infirm from the building trade.
- The Workhouse was closed in 1930 and was torn down in 2003. Mansfield Hospital was erected on the site.
Year Inhabitants 1801 5,988 1831 9,426 1841 9,788 1871 11,824 1881 13,653 1891 15,925 1901 21,445 1911 36,888
Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School was established in 1561 and re-constituted in 1875 at a new location off the Chesterfield Road.
Mrs. Faith CLERKSON established her Charity School in 1731, but it was rebuilt in 1849 on Albert Street.
Thompson & Brunt's Charity School, founded in 1786 by Charles THOMPSON, was on Toothill Lane.
St. John's School was opened in 1861.
David BEVIS has a photograph of the Sutton Road Primary School in Moor Lane on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
St. Peter's School was on Church Lane.
There was a British School in West Gate by 1881.
There was a Wesleyan School on Stanhope street by 1881.