"Mansfield Woodhouse is a respectable village and parish, nearly one and a half miles north of Mansfield. It is partly inhabited by framework knitters, but contains some good houses which have long been the residence of respectable families. The parish contains 1,972 inhabitants and 4,770 acres of land. The tithes were commuted in 1814 for £680. The Duke of Portland is principal owner, lord of the manor, and impropriator, but Francis Hall Esq., Edmund Sykes Esq., John Clark Esq and Edward Thomas Coke Esq have also estates here. In the reign of Henry VI, Sir Robert Plumpton died possessed of one bovate in this manor called Wolf-hunt land, held by the service of winding a horn and frightening the wolves in Sherwood Forest. The dwelling upon this land was called Wolf House, which is now occupied by Mr Samuel Housley. br /> In an ancient record, written in 1520, it is said 'that the town of Mansfield Woodhouse was burned in the year of our Lord MCCCIIII and the Kirk stepull, with the bells of the same, for the stepull was afore of tymbre work.' Before this accident the church had three aisles, but it now has only two. It is 98 feet long and 32 broad. The spire is 108 feet high and contains four bells, and a small Saints' bell, which in Catholic times was rung when the priest came to that part of the Latin service which is translated, 'Holy! Holy! Holy! Lord God of Sabaoth!' in order that those who stayed at home might join with the congregation in the most solemn part of worship."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
The Mansfield Woodhouse Library is normally open 5 days per week, but you should always call ahead to check. The Library is wheelchair friendly and has a Local History Section and keeps some local newspapers and magazines. Parking is available at the Mansfield Woodhouse Railway Station. Their physical location is:
- Mansfield Woodhouse Library
- Church Street (off Station Road)
- Nottinghamshire, NG19 8AH
- Tele: 01623 677 200
There is also a good resource at the Mansfield Central Library.
St Edmund's has an overflow graveyard on Welbeck Road.
Ian S. has a photograph of a portion of the Overflow Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
- The parish was in the Warsop sub-district of the Mansfield Registration District.
- There are Census Extracts available on the Woodhus site.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 859|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2123|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2423|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3645|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2648|
- The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Edmund King and Martyr.
- There was a wooden church here before the 1086 Domesday book, but a part timber, part stone church was raised here in 1190.
- The church burned to the ground in the Mansfield Woodhouse Fire of 1304. The church was rebuilt using stone.
- The church nave and aisles were rebuilt between 1804 and 1810.
- The church chancel was restored in 1878. Most of the rest of the church had been repaired in 1850.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Edmund's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
- James HILL also has a photograph of St. Edmund's Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007.
- St. Chad at Steffenwood (often spelled: Stiffenwood) was erected in Pleasley Vale in 1881. It could seat 120 people.
- St. Alban's Mission Church was erected in Forest Town in 1911. It could seat 400 people.
- The Anglican parish registers dates from 1653 and is in fair condition.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Mansfield.
- The Congregationalists built a chapel here in 1802.
- The Baptists built a chapel here in 1874.
- There were also chapels here for the Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodists in 1881.
- A new Baptist chapel was built here in 1905.
- A number of the locals were buried in Pleasley, Derbyshire. Be sure to look for your family members there as well.
- The parish was in the Warsop sub-district of the Mansfield Registration District.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
This large village and parish lies on the western border of the old Sherwood Forest, one and a half miles north of Mansfield and 135 miles north of London. The parish covers 4,820 acres.
- Forest Town is a small colliery village in this parish, 1.5 miles south-east of Mansfield Woodhouse.
- Pleasley Vale is a hamlet in this parish, hard up against the Derbyshire border.
If you are planning a visit:
- By rail, the village is served by the Robin Hood Line between Nottingham and Worksop.
- We have an extract from White's 1853 Directory relating to this parish.
"MANSFIELD-WOODHOUSE, a village and a parish in Mansfield district, Notts. The village stands ¾ of a mile W of the river Maun, and 1½ N of Mansfield r. station; was burnt in 1034; is a large place, with some old houses; and has a post office under Mansfield, and a fair on the third Wednesday of Oct. The parish includes part of Sherwood forest, and comprises 2,860 acres. Real property, £8,314; of which £48 are in quarries Pop. in 1851, 1,972; in 1861 ,2,263. Houses, 492. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to the Duke of Portland. The Priory is the seat of G. Robinson, Esq., and Debdale is the seat of E. T. Coke, Esq. A number of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting. A small ditched-ditched Roman camp is at Winny-Hill; and many Roman coins, pavements, urns, and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is early English, in good condition; and has an octagonal spire, 104 feet high. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, national and infant schools, two endowed schools, a recently established village hospital, and some small charities."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mansfield Woodhouse to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mansfield Woodhouse has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Roman remains have been discovered here at different periods. There is a site just over a mile north-east of the church that appears to have been a Roman Camp.
- The Romans had a fortress and a civilian settlement in the area (remains of a Roman villa were found here by Hayman ROOKE in the 1780s).
- On 12 September 1304, fire completely destroyed the village, including the church. The town was rebuilt and the church was rebuilt using stone.
- The Village Feast was held on the Sunday following July 10th.
- Locally-quarried stone was used to build the Houses of Parliament in London.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of the Greyhound Pub on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
- See also Our Mansfield for additional history.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK540632 (Lat/Lon: 53.163192, -1.193778), Mansfield Woodhouse which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Mansfield and Mansfield Woodhouse District Hospital was started in this parish in 1867, but construction didn't take place until 1877.
- This small hospital was replaced in 1889 and a new one opened the following year on West Hill Drive.
- Miss Florence RANSFORD was the matron in 1904.
- Mansfield General Hospital closed in 1992.
- Hospitals were exempt from archiving laws relating to patient records.
- The First World War memorial is in the Yeoman Hill Park across the street from the church. It has five plaques on it.
- Ian S. has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
- The Second World War memorial is a wooden plaque inside the church.
- There is a memorial to Mark Royston STEPHENS lost in the Falklands Campaign just below the wooden plaque mentioned above.
- All those memorials are described and photographs provided at the Southwell Churches History Project site. The names are particularly difficult to read, so if you happen to have a list, please let me know.
- One of the names listed is: Leonard BOCKIN (or BOCKING). 9th Sherwood Foresters.
Arthur SHEPPARD was born in Mansfield Woodhouse circa 1856. He had a son born here circa 1890, also named Arthur. This son, after moving to Southwell, would go on to win a Distinguished Service Medal and to die in combat in 1915.
The WWI War Memorial cross has 226 names associated with it, all lost in WWI. This list is provided by the Imperial War Museum:
- Adlington, W.
- Ainsworth, W. T.
- Andrews, G. E.
- Antcliffe, E.
- Ashley, J. A.
- Ashpool, W.
- Athoney, A.
- Bacon, J.
- Ball, C. T.
- Ball, E.
- Barnes, G. T.
- Bennett, W.
- Bennison, G.
- Bennison, J.
- Beresford, G W.
- Betts, H.
- Bilbie, G.
- Blackwell, H.
- Blythe, G.
- Boam, F. H.
- Bocking, L.
- Bonser, W H.
- Booth, A.
- Bottom, H.
- Bownes, J. E.
- Bradshaw, G.
- Bray, A. W.
- Brierley, J.
- Brindley, F.
- Brocklehurst, H.
- Brocklehurst, H.
- Broughton, W.
- Brown, C.
- Brown, E.
- Brown, H.
- Bullock, G.
- Bullock, T.
- Burbridge, J. E.
- Burden, W. H.
- Burgin, G.
- Burton, C.
- Burton, J. E.
- Caldwell, F.
- Carrington, T.
- Carter, F.
- Chadbourne, N.
- Chantrey, W.
- Chapman, W. A.
- Clarey, J.
- Clarke, G.
- Clarke, T.
- Clarke, W.
- Coles, A. E.
- Cooke, A. E.
- Cooper, G.
- Cooper, W.
- Cope, H.
- Copestake, W.
- Corbett, G.
- Coupe, H.
- Cowpe, C.
- Criery, W.
- Crooks, F.
- Dainty, H.
- Davies, J.
- Dawes, A.
- Dennis, G.
- Driver, J.
- Dunn, J.
- Fensom, F.
- Flint, H. L.
- Flint, W. M.
- Frost, G. W.
- Garton, W.
- Ghilkes, F.
- Gilman, J. G.
- Glasby, H.
- Glidewell, J. G.
- Greaves, W. H.
- Green, H.
- Grummitt, A.
- Hague, J.
- Hampshire, S. H.
- Hardy, L. H.
- Harris, S.
- Hart, A. E.
- Hawley, T.
- Hayward, H.
- Heald, W.
- Hett, W.
- Houfton, C. P.
This list is not complete.
The town also has a volunteer-run newsletter called The Woodhouse Warbler, produced quarterly since late 2000.
- This place was an ancient Chapelry in a parish in Nottingham county, and became a modern Civil Parish around 1800.
- This parish was in the northern division of the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake in the northern division of the county.
- Under the 1894 Local Government Act the parish formed an Urban District Council.
- In 1974, Mansfield Woodhouse and Warsop Urban District Councils merged with the Municipal Borough of Mansfield to form a new local government area known as Mansfield District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Mansfield petty session hearings held every Thursday at the Police Court on Station Street,.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Mansfield Poor Law Union.
Year Population 1801 1,112 1821 1,598 1841 1,871 1851 1,972 1871 2,474 1881 2,618 1891 2,819
- A Public Elementary School (mixed) was built here in 1845. It was enlarged in 1865 and once again in 1883 to hold 380 children.
- Another Public Elementary School (mixed) was built here in 1903 to hold 300 boys, 300 girls and 350 infants.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of the National School in Welbeck Road on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.