"Maplebeck is a small village, in a pleasant vale, 5 miles north of Southwell. It contains 162 inhabitants and 1,112 acres of land, exclusive of 14 acres of roads, of the rateable value of £1,163. The church, a small edifice, with a tower and short spire, is a perpetual curacy of the certified value of £68. The Duke of Newcastle is the patron, and principal owner and impropriator. The Rev. William P. Turton is the incumbent, and resides at the parsonage house, a handsome brick building, erected by the noble Duke about 3 years ago.
The Markhams had a big hall here, which was taken down in 1666. Sir Robert Markham, the father of Sir John Markham, Lord Chief Justice of England, obtained this lordship by marrying the heiress of Sir Nicholas Burdon, whose family had held it for many ages. but it was sold by Sir Robert Markham of Cotham, knight, to the Earls of Clare. A considerable portion of this village was given by the Burdons to Rufford Abbey, which with the manor and the Grange, was at the dissolution given by Henry VIII to the Earl of Shrewsbury. S.E. Bristow Esq. and Sir William Key own about 80 acres in the parish."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]